Originally posted by KevinOConnor View Post
    Wizard, please light another candle in your cave... hehe
    Click image for larger version

Name:	popit.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	843695
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
      It was initially a 18 watt that i converted to 6V6 and redesigned the preamp to a cascaded gain structure.
      Sacrilege!

Comment

Hi Guys

Chuck, I hope there's a lot of REAL butter on that popcorn. None of that "buttery coating". And yes, SALTED butter.... mmmmmm

Have fun

Comment

I just recapped both my Traynor's YBA 1A & YBA1 which has the original firecrackers & the mark II's 2 cans
          & i will say that all the old caps were still in spec ,
          YBA 1A (Mark II) 1974
          replaced the 3 80uf/450v Fire crackers in the chassis with JJ 80uf/500v axial type & fit in the existing clamp .worked out really well
          replaced the 2 Mallory 40/40 cans with JJ 50/50uf & a jj 32/32uf
          This amp sounded great the day i got it .could not of been used much still has original tubes & sounds great before & after filter caps were replaced ,tight tone ..
          i did not hear a difference .
          yba 1 from 1975
          Must of had a rough life (i could of possibly ,previously owned this one in the early 90's but not for sure ,as it came from my home town )
          it had a dull tone ,very loose
          under the hood it had a fire cracker 40/40 Mallory & 2 Shoei 47uf caps with the + wired together - I don't think the Shoei caps are stock ,but I don't think they've been installed any time soon .....
          Anyway replaced the Mallory cap first (with a black jj 50/50uf ) ,maybe a slight improvement in flubby tone .replacing the old 6CA7'S made the biggest change .I't was quite a bit tighter ,& more dynamic
          a day ago I replaced the 2 Shoei 47uf caps with a another black jj 50/50uf which i thought help tighten up thye bottom end .
          The main improvement to tone was tubes not filtering from new or 40 year old caps & didn't notice a difference new to old as new caps were about the same uf as the old caps All reading higher than there printed value .
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads
            I just recapped both my Traynor's YBA 1A & YBA1 which has the original firecrackers & the mark II's 2 cans
            & i will say that all the old caps were still in spec ,
            YBA 1A (Mark II) 1974
            replaced the 3 80uf/450v Fire crackers in the chassis with JJ 80uf/500v axial type & fit in the existing clamp .worked out really well
            replaced the 2 Mallory 40/40 cans with JJ 50/50uf & a jj 32/32uf
            This amp sounded great the day i got it .could not of been used much still has original tubes & sounds great before & after filter caps were replaced ,tight tone ..
            i did not hear a difference .
            yba 1 from 1975
            Must of had a rough life (i could of possibly ,previously owned this one in the early 90's but not for sure ,as it came from my home town )
            it had a dull tone ,very loose
            under the hood it had a fire cracker 40/40 Mallory & 2 Shoei 47uf caps with the + wired together - I don't think the Shoei caps are stock ,but I don't think they've been installed any time soon .....
            Anyway replaced the Mallory cap first (with a black jj 50/50uf ) ,maybe a slight improvement in flubby tone .replacing the old 6CA7'S made the biggest change .I't was quite a bit tighter ,& more dynamic
            a day ago I replaced the 2 Shoei 47uf caps with a another black jj 50/50uf which i thought help tighten up thye bottom end .
            The main improvement to tone was tubes not filtering from new or 40 year old caps & didn't notice a difference new to old as new caps were about the same uf as the old caps All reading higher than there printed value .
            My YBA1 had the tan Mallory multi cans in it. It's a later model with the 2 x 2 inputs and the weird T-filter tone stack. VERY different from the earlier Marshall clone model. Still, it sounded GREAT stock. Huge cleans and good, crunchy but smooth distortion cranked. And, as you noted, the ORIGINAL filters were working fine after some 30+ years!!! Of course I replaced them. But I heard no difference in performance. And I'm especially good at coaxing odd harmonics and ghost notes. What the hell did they make those older Mallory caps with!?! I know they're not using it today.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X