Modular tube preamp idea, crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    Look up the Seymour Duncan COnvertible 100 amp. They did the preamp molules 25 years ago. You could choose from a variety of modules for gain, overdrive, clean, whatever.
    Those things were kind of cool, but a connector nightmare as they got older.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Used an old chassis that I stripped and played around with a pentode and pots for the grid, screen, plate and level controls in and out. Also a triode switch. Nothing like real pots to twiddle around looking for sweet spots of operation.

Breadboard ideas in a matter of minutes. HV is fine on the boards, just keep empty traces between points with a lot of voltage differential.

Comment

Originally posted by printer2 View Post
        Used an old chassis that I stripped and played around with a pentode and pots for the grid, screen, plate and level controls in and out. Also a triode switch. Nothing like real pots to twiddle around looking for sweet spots of operation.

Breadboard ideas in a matter of minutes. HV is fine on the boards, just keep empty traces between points with a lot of voltage differential.

The only thing I would watch out for is often the insulation resistance on auto relay sockets and breadboards has limited voltage insulation. Voltages in tube amps commonly exceed them. That and all the exposed conductors pose shock hazards. But when your bread boarding I suppose it's unrealistic to think that your resistor and component leads wouldn't be exposed.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
        X