No announcement yet.

Phase Inverters with CCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The distortion thing!!! Ian's rave - hopefully there is something useful in it.
    With a CCS in the tail then the total current thru' the 2 sides of the PI/driver are fixed. The CCS is set for 2 x the idle current of each triode or to think of it another way, to the idle current of the 2 triodes combined.
    If you drive one side to cut off then the other side can go to 2 x it's idle current - no more. You get a clamping function.
    When overdriven it is likely to clip really hard and that means lots of odd harmonics and higher order odd harmonics at that, the thing here is that the higher order odd harmonics are the ones which are musically "quint" (meaning no musical relationship to the fundamental note) and even small amounts of them are "finger nails down the blackboard" stuff. They just grate.

That means that it (PI/Driver) has to run in Class A, that is not overdriven.

That is why for a Class AB output stage where one side is regularly driven to cutoff then you need to use separate CCS for each of the push pull sides, and separate bypass caps.... BUT I abandoned this approach since it has the worst overload recovery of any output tube biasing methods and so is unsuitable for a Git Amp.

The overdriven PI/Driver sound will be somewhat different from a resistor "tail" of lower AC impedance and unlike a lowish restive tail PI which has a fairly pleasant overdrive tone, it is likely to be far less pleasant and maybe quite awful unless you set the amp up such that the output tubes go into overdrive long before the PI/Driver stage.

OFF THREAD ASIDE (FWIW):
    AS for that HIFI schematic I linked, the balanced shunt feedback from the output tube anodes does something special, it enforces balance for a start.
    Guitar guys who have listened to that amp with my corksniffer CD player and speakers have all commented on 2 things, its speed and the way it handles the attack of a guitar, and that it grunges pleasantly when driven hard. HiFi "dudes" talk about PRATT (Pace, Rhythm and Attack). This amp has great PRATT. Music like JJ Cale just is simply stunning with an easy relaxed loping pace.
    It is NOT a low distortion design but appears to be a benign distortion design. I've had 210W per Channel 0.001% distortion SS Power amps , JA80 4 x KT88 Jadis mono blocks, 845 Single Ended Triode Mono blocks and a heap of other high end HiFi Tube and SS Power Amps in my system and I always come back the amp to that design, currently my HiFi Amp is exactly that design but with 6SL7 diffamp and old coke bottle shape 6V6G output tubes.
    A glorious 12 Watts per Channel.

I have had a try the Baby Huey Power Amp for Guitar on my to do list for far too long.
    For now I have to say for those interested try it at your own risk. What works quite delightfully for a HiFi Amp may not be ideal for a Git Amp.

The Balance shunt feedback trades output tube gm for reduced internal impedance (lower rp). That means that it better drives the lowish Primary Inductance of Git Amp Output Trannies primary and results in improved bass, but it also better drives the leakage inductance and inter-winding capacitance of the the Output Tranny for improved top end. In a Stereo HiFi setup that also means improved stereo imaging (mostly phase related information) and you tend to hear a 3 dimensional wall of sound rather than 2 separate channels.

So is this just some guy waving his primary sexual characteristic.
    Well I hope not, and the 60 or 70 guys around the world who have built one or more of these seem to agree.
    Is it all my own clever design - nah! like most things it is based on someone else's work, in this case Yves M's 6GW8/ECL86 design here:
    Push Pull ECL86/6GW8

Now back to our regular programming.

Cheers,
    Ian

Comment

Thanks again Ian,

Originally posted by Gingertube View Post
      AS for that HIFI schematic I linked, the balanced shunt feedback from the output tube anodes does something special, it enforces balance for a start.
      At the end you used the shunt feedback from the anodes or from the UL taps? I read you preferred the detail of the shunt from screens.

Comment

From the anodes - I tried it from the screens for a while before deciding it sounded better from the anodes. This seemed to be an impedance vs frequency of the speakers thing. With a Zobel (R +C) across the output tranny secondary to linearize impedance vs frequency then the screen sourced feedback seemed marginally better initially BUT long term listening and feedback from other guys who built it, suggested it was better with anode derived feedback. You will also note that Yves original did not have UL connections and so feedback was from anodes.
        Cheers,
        Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian,

a bit OT, but have you tried it also with cathode UL taps instead of screen ones?
          Or with the mixed fixed-cathode bias configuration?

I will take care of the hint to let the PA saturates way before the PI.

Comment

Roberto,
            On my to do list is to try both together (menno's Supertriode configuration) !! I have a pair of Plitron VDV2100 CFB/H Toroidal Output Trannies and Matching Plitron Toroidal Power Trannies on the shelf for a pair of HiFi mono blocks, each with 4 x KT88. The Output trannies have 2 independent (one for each push pull side) 10% cathode feedback windings Plus 33% screen taps on the primary. The screen feedback voltage is from screen to cathode so the combination of 10% cathode feedback and 33% screen tap means we are running at the "usual" 43% Ultralinear point with Cathode feedback added. About 120 Watts per mono block. Have all the bits, just a matter of pulling finger!!
            Cheers,
            Ian

P.S.
            Besides - I have 2 Guitar Amps to finish first, one with 6DQ6 Outputs (Va=300V, Vg2 = 150V for 30 Watts out) and one with a pair of 6v6, maybe I can try the BH output stage for that 6V6 Amp, it is for a friend and is already in the 'Impossible Amp" category as he wants a 2 channel amp, the clean channel to be also able to handle BASS and the lead channel to handle shreading , oh, and it has to have effects in and out to suitable impedance/voltage for his studio gear including digital reverb and it has to have independent effects MIX controls for each channel, a design which was semi out of control from the specification stage. The first Amp is just about done, the "Impossible" Amp is at Issue 5 of pencil schematics - not really impossible just difficult.
            - Back to our regular thread - sorry
            Last edited by Gingertube; 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Ian,

In my wish list there is that Supertriode and the variable damping PCF/NCF control (like the old Bogen DO30A).
              Unfortunately as a technical/commercial guy, I'm often abroad all week long, and there's no more time for experiments...

If you want to, I can share with you how I'd do an amp like the one your friend wants (I've done something similar in the past for a 7 string dropped guitar player, with two PA: a 100W all tube and a 200W class D with independent volumes).

Back on topic!

Comment

Working...
              X