Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concerned about some readings I took on my transformer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerned about some readings I took on my transformer.

I took some DC resistance readings on all the primary voltage connections and secondary voltages on my mains and output transformer. I'm glad I checked, because I was reading 10.6 ohms from common to 220V, and 9.2 ohms from common to 240V. I double checked, because that can't be correct. I checked what I had noted on my schematic and how I wired the selector switch and it matched what I had written down. I was able to quickly pull up the docs sent my the manufacturer, and I had made and error and switched the 220V/240V color scheme when I had written it down! I'm glad I checked, because that's an easy swap, but I wanted to run some other numbers by you guys and see if these seem okay. My two High voltage secondaries seem fine, but my 6.3V winding is reading a REALLY low resistance of between .2 -.4 ohms. Does that seem right?
    Also, the resistances on my output transformer secondaries are:

1.1R - comm to 16ohm
    .7R - comm to 8ohm
    .4R - comm to 4ohm

seem okay?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Those readings are fine. Take a look at those 6.3v windings; high current, thick wire, and not many turns. So, low resistance. Similar situation with your OT secondaries.

Comment

Just wondering, aren't you in a 120V mains region, so why the hassle of an export PT?
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
        Those readings are fine. Take a look at those 6.3v windings; high current, thick wire, and not many turns. So, low resistance. Similar situation with your OT secondaries.
        Okay cool. Just wanted to doulbe check. I was pretty sure the OT was was all set, but I just wanted to double check heater wiring. I imagine a dc resistane test in not a good indicator of shorts.

PDF, I'm gonna need those voltage inputs to be in tip top. I haven't given up hope yet of playing a string of sold out shows at Wembley stadium. Just in case that plan falls through though, I would like to build amps and selll them. It isnt something I take lightly, so I think It is prudent to double check my work against a community of expienced technitians.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
        X