No announcement yet.

Old presence circuits vs new standards vs alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that Roberto is an expert but I was very surprised with his first post in this topic. There are simulation results but there are no schematics . This is the first time I saw simulation results without schematics being simulated. And the name of the circuits are custom like "old", "new", "my". So I had to search for Marshall schematics and I found out that in many cases the pot used is either 20k, or 22k (and not 25k). Sometimes the pot tapper is marked as linear but quite often without any designation. I also noticed that the "Y" scale in the simulations is linear - should be rather in decibels if you want to prove your point. Following the same idea (posting simulation results without schematic) here is simulation results of tube amp that that I build (based on Marshall circuit). As you can see, the "Y" scale is logarithmic and the regulation is perfectly linear. I don't know whether it is better then in stock Marshall amps but this is what I use .

Mark

Click image for larger version

Name:	pre.gif
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	845486

Comment

I use the vintage 5k pot/.1uf (listed as "old scratchy" I think). Well, sort of. I actually use a 1k pot and a .47uf cap with a lower value series NFB resistor. Interestingly, this is never scratchy. Note on Roberto's sims that it's the one with the most intuitive taper and the greatest range. I don't see the sense in overthinking this control. Even if you have a scratchy one. I've never had to turn the control while recording a track!?! So who cares?
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
      X