What's This Cap For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's This Cap For?

This schematic shows the Phase Inverter (V3) and power section of a single-channel, high-gain, Marshall-ish amp. One thing I'm wondering about is C40. What is going on there? I haven't seen a cap used in this position before.

Schematic: http://img06.deviantart.net/d3db/i/2...-dbbrwsd.jpg?1

Originally posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    This schematic shows the Phase Inverter (V3) and power section of a single-channel, high-gain, Marshall-ish amp. One thing I'm wondering about is C40. What is going on there? I haven't seen a cap used in this position before.

Schematic: http://img06.deviantart.net/d3db/i/2...-dbbrwsd.jpg?1
    That cap couples both grid signals together at frequencies above 72kHz. Because each grid signal is out of phase with each other, those signals cancel each other out, creating a low pass filter. The caps location on the schematic, is right near the grid leak resistors, that may be significant or not but , it's there to suppress high frequencies from causing instability.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      That cap couples both grid signals together at frequencies above 72kHz. Because each grid signal is out of phase with each other, those signals cancel each other out, creating a low pass filter. The caps location on the schematic, is right near the grid leak resistors, that may be significant or not but , it's there to suppress high frequencies from causing instability.
      So it helps reduce high-freq. oscillation in the power amp? At 72KHz, that's well beyond the range of human hearing. But what would the end result be if there was some sort of oscillation at that range, without that cap there? I mean, you wouldn't hear it. But maybe the tubes would red plate?

Comment

At 72KHz, that's well beyond the range of human hearing. But what would the end result be if there was some sort of oscillation at that range, without that cap there?
        Maybe a plane could crash?
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decca_Navigator_System

-rb
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

So it helps reduce high-freq. oscillation in the power amp? At 72KHz, that's well beyond the range of human hearing. But what would the end result be if there was some sort of oscillation at that range, without that cap there? I mean, you wouldn't hear it. But maybe the tubes would red plate?
          What the oscillation 'does' is robs available power.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            And will likely cause the amp to sound bad.
            Free running oscillation at max power is the worst case scenario but easiest to identify.
            The basic issue would be a low to non-existent margin of stability; that may also manifest in parasitic oscillations, weird freq response, perhaps only with new tubes of a certain manufacture or when plugged into particular cabs/cables.
            My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
              And will likely cause the amp to sound bad.
              :silly:
              Good, sound priorities.
              Who cares if you crash a few planes?
              :/silly:

-rb
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Those "in-the-know" know that uncontrolled ultra-sonic oscillations can result in severe "red-plating" for seemingly no reason at all...and...ultimately meltdown of grids and plate.
                ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Tele man View Post
                  Those "in-the-know" know that uncontrolled ultra-sonic oscillations can result in severe "red-plating" for seemingly no reason at all...and...ultimately meltdown of grids and plate.
                  This was my first thought. This schematic is for a "hot-rodded" Marshall. I'm thinking the builder encountered some sort of issue like red-plating power tubes and this cap was the fix. And it made its way into the schematic someone made.

I'm building a similar amp and I was wondering if it was part of the inherent design. But probably not.

Comment

This was my first thought. This schematic is for a "hot-rodded" Marshall. I'm thinking the builder encountered some sort of issue like red-plating power tubes and this cap was the fix. And it made its way into the schematic someone made.

I'm building a similar amp and I was wondering if it was part of the inherent design. But probably not.
                    You using global negative feedback?
                    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                      You using global negative feedback?
                      Yup. 39K on the 8ohm tap.

Comment

Working...
                      X