No announcement yet.

Help Me Understand the LM386 Chip Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One could replicate the function (i.e. opamp) in tubes; Enzo beat me to the Philbrick implementation.

What you can't replicate as a tube analog part-for-part are the PNP transistors, as there are no "P-channel" triodes; these are just barely possible, if you constructed the tube insides out of anti-matter so the bits running from cathode to plate are positrons, but we have no significant amounts of antimatter to make this with, and I don't think we have yet made antimatter atoms more complex than anti-hydrogen. So there would be some additional work required to make the parts.

And maybe some special licensing to run the equipment to make the materials.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

My experience is that the sharp sounding distortion that you get with a huge amount of global feedback is not what you want for a guitar amp.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Here:
      The Philbrick Archive

The famous Teledyne-Philbrick op-amp modules of the 1950s.

Could you do it in triodes? Well, there are only a few parts, draw it up as you think it would work.

Comment

Rob, you may not have all of the facts, but you've got one hell of a chin!
        You've taken a few licks in some threads from time to time, and you seem to keep a good attitude. Remember, circuit operation is a matter of science and isn't personal. Everyone here, at some point, didn't know their ass from their elbow.
        Having said that, if you wouldn't mind me giving you a humble suggestion. in addition to vetting the information for accuracy, it may be prudent to have some patience with a circuit or topic and develop a solid understanding of it's function before posting an article to your website. I see your website come up often in search results, and you have some decent stuff there.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
        X