Fixed to Cathode Bias On The Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Sticking a pentode somewhere upnfront usually doesn't hurt, either!

Justin
    A bump for this; I'd think any small-signal pentode near the end of the preamp would be a good "SE amp" emulator, when overdriven giving the raw, asymmetrical clipping typical of a 5W amp. Exactly like an EL84? well, probably not exactly, but it'll produce a similar effect, and a few tone-shaping components might make it presentable.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by chunkitup View Post
      I want to "Like" what you wrote but I don't see an icon anywhere to do that.
      In the lower right area of a post there should be "like" in blue right above the multi-quote button.
      If the person has a 'sig', it will be above the signature line.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        Exactly like an EL84? well, probably not exactly,..
        But then, an el84 run into a resistor doesn't sound the same as an el84 run into a speaker. Maybe a different, small signal pentode into a resistive load would actually sound MORE similar to the proto amp than an el84 into the resistive load.?. There's still the way the el84 responds to the specific drive voltage too. A different pentode would also be different in this regard for better or worse.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          In the lower right area of a post there should be "like" in blue right above the multi-quote button.
          If the person has a 'sig', it will be above the signature line.
          It's not always there. In fact I didn't have the "like" option just a minute ago, but it reappeared after I had to reload the page because "reply with quote" only gave me half of your post and no end quote *^$(&@$%^&* When THAT happens I have right click "reply with quote" and then "open in a new tab" to make it work. There are many here that find the forum hitchy with their OS.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

My experience is that it takes a moment after a post is put up for the like button to appear. If you happen to be viewing the post immediately after it was put up, the like button may not yet be there. If you refresh the page or come back in a minute, it will be there.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Oh, I don't ever run my amps into an attenuator - I just build tiny ( <25W) amps. But in all seriousness, I add those crappy old "noisy" OT-driven Line Outs to my amps - that way, I get every bit of the amp except the speaker. Which, not to diminish its importance in any way, but at least the amp is always running into a reactive load, and any line signal gets everything... And you know, I've never had anyone complain about my OT line out signal being noisy... Well, usually they mute me in the house, anyway. Mission accomplished.

@ eschertron: I usually use an EF86 right up front. But there's a couple Matchlesses that use one later on. Might experiment with some others as I use up my donor chassis. I'll say this - EF86 - Volume - Tone- 1/2 12AX7 - Cathodyne - 2xEL34 was a HOLY $#!+BALLS Distortion Machine!

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                I've never had anyone complain about my OT line out signal being noisy... Well, usually they mute me in the house, anyway. Mission accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post
                  Yes, this is true. It's greatly exaggerating the usual gain change that you get in the transition from class A to class B (sometimes called 'gm doubling').

I think it's one of the 'nicer' sounding distortions. It also gives a kind of compression - relatively higher output when you play soft and relatively less output when you play more aggressively. (Just my opinion! Others can and will disagree. )
                  Malcom, I tried it, and I like it. No need to use fixed bias. Thanks. I have never liked bypassed cathode biasing for a push pull output stage because the consequences, although not severe, are just so complicated. This is just nice simple compression. Considering trying it in an EL34 amp; you would have to dissipate a considerable amount more power, and you would lose a significant amount of output power, but so what?

Comment

Working...
                  X