Hotrod deluxe PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotrod deluxe PT

This amp has very low HT voltage. I disconnected the HT secondaries to check em unloaded. I have about 340vac.

I indeed have 120vac on primary.

So just double checking that I'm right in that the PT is bad. I THINK I should have about 500vac on that secondary unloaded. About 10% more than the rectified DC with a non-CT PT and FWBR.

I have 50ohms between HT secondary end to end.

Gonna order one and replace but just roughly checking my theory.

Thanks!

340VAC sounds about right. 340VAC == 476Vpk == 430Vpk assuming 10% regulation. I'd say your problem is elsewhere. Measure the secondary volts under load and at the same time measure the HT voltage.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Wait so FWBR gives PEAK DCv x.9? Glad I asked. I'll investigate.

Comment

Hammond says it's 90% of secondary ACv. And that all AC voltages are RMS. So I'm a bit confused.

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guit...fier_Guide.png

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
          Hammond says it's 90% of secondary ACv. And that all AC voltages are RMS. So I'm a bit confused.

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guit...fier_Guide.png
          If their formula were correct then why do Hammond spec a PT with 319VAC model 290UX for a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Ignore that formula. It's a solution for just one case. Reality is more complicated.

Consider a limiting case of no load. The cap will charge to Vpk = VAC * 1.4. Now draw some current and you'll get ripple and so the average voltage will drop. The size of the cap and the ability of the transformer to re-charge it will affect the final Vdc. So you can see it depends...

PS: For a FWB with NO capacitor the, Vdc is Vac * 1.41 * 2/pi = 0.89. So the formula they gave applies to that case, more or less.
          Last edited by nickb; 07-11-2017, 09:52 PM. Reason: Added PS
          Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

I agree with nickb. What led you to the PT? What are the symptoms and what are you trying to fix?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ok so Hammond is full of c!@p haha. It's peak.

It was super easy to pull the secondary lead clips and check it. So I did. And thought it was low...but alas that's clearly not the problem. Now onto the usual suspects.

Thanks for clarifying!

I do know that a center tapped PT and half wave rectifier will yield the sum both ends of secondary in series. So with this thread and that info I have a better idea of AC to DC conversion.

Comment

Hey waddya know. First time my Blue ESR meter worked as a useful tool. Wasnt getting readings on B+ or screen caps but DID get readings on others down the line. I also noticed the voltage rail was less than 380v if I disconnected the choke. So it clued me in on the first filter or two being the problem. Sure nuff new caps fixed it. +422v at CT node.

Thanks again guys.

Rectified voltage is Vac rms * 1.4 *.9 - got it
                Last edited by lowell; 07-13-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X