Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between 2 x EL84 and 4 x EL84 board architecture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
    I said musicians in the know preferred the BF predecessor.
    I have to disagree with you on that Chuck. What you're saying is 100% true from the perspective of a rock guitarist who likes his amp to break up, but that's not true of "musicians in the know" as a whole.

I'll concede that BF amps have magical appeal to rock guitarists, but ask someone who plays pedal steel, keyboards, or jazz guitar which amps they prefer and they won't say BF. They're more likely to say "SF Twin Reverb" or heaven forbid, they'll say "Super Twin Reverb", the amp that all guitarists love to hate. Fender wasn't all about guitars. Fender sold a lot of Twin Reverbs to go with the Rhodes pianos, especially when they stopped making the "suitcase" version of the Rhodes with the dedicated speaker cabinet.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      I do not agree that we can thank the Internet for various "nonsense" because the Internet is not responsible for the knowledge or knowledge of its users. The Internet is just a medium with information from us.
      The fact that people will believe fake news just goes to show you that there's no limit to the nonsense that people will pick up from the internet. Some people just believe anything they read. The internet didn't create stupid people, but it does help them to replicate stupidity.
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        I have to disagree with you on that Chuck. What you're saying is 100% true from the perspective of a rock guitarist who likes his amp to break up, but that's not true of "musicians in the know" as a whole.

I'll concede that BF amps have magical appeal to rock guitarists, but ask someone who plays pedal steel, keyboards, or jazz guitar which amps they prefer and they won't say BF. They're more likely to say "SF Twin Reverb" or heaven forbid, they'll say "Super Twin Reverb", the amp that all guitarists love to hate. Fender wasn't all about guitars. Fender sold a lot of Twin Reverbs to go with the Rhodes pianos, especially when they stopped making the "suitcase" version of the Rhodes with the dedicated speaker cabinet.
        Ok... I should have said "guitarists with peculiarities"??? It doesn't matter. Yes, plenty of musicians made plenty of music on SF amps both on stage and recorded. As guitar amps go, the BF amps were GENERALLY preferred over the SF models long before the internet. Still in regard to guitar amps... I can remember a time when even the unchanged from BF and not yet changed from BF SF models could be had for a song because the GENERAL MENTALITY was BF=good SF=bad. This was long before the internet. Again, this isn't a BF vs SF debate. You implied that the internet and mojo/lore were responsible for the debacle. That just not true regardless of how you feel and whether you like it or not. The reality is rooted in customer response to the amps. Would Leo have done the same as CBS? Maybe. Certainly he would have made changes. It's likely that any changes from anyone would have been poorly received by guitar players. It's also probably that Fenders destiny was etched by their past. The basic topography of the BF amps may not have been the best jumping point to go in a more modern direction. Though Mesa Boogie did it, but I think that was somewhat anomalous. Then there's Dumble. But both the Mesa and the Dumble amps added post distortion EQ for obvious reasons. IMHO the Bassman/Marshall platform ultimately demonstrated itself as the more accessible and versatile jumping point into more modern amps. And that could also be part of why Fender didn't continue to carry the market with the SF amps as they did with the BF amps. Adding fuel to the fire. But that's just me thinking out loud. Suffice to say that WRT guitar amps there was a gradual and growing GENERAL opinion (not necessarily yours and not everyone's, but general) since the inception of the SF amps that the BF amps were the better sounding amps. That started early and the opinion grew into what it is without the benefit of the internet. That also doesn't make it true. Just because some opinion is regurgitated by thousands of guitar players at clubs, in music stores and in magazine articles doesn't make it any more credible than internet blogs or forums. So, though it may be an exaggerated issue, such things absolutely don't happen for no reason at all.

And that's all the change I have left on the matter
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          Thanks everyone. Makes sense. I also found a schematic! Well a layout anyway....
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]44361[/ATTACH]
          Wish I could read the component values? I’m

Comment

I have an Ashdown peacemaker 40 here that is basically a poor design as it gets very hot .so I'm using everything i can but not the 4 el84's .im using 2 6L6/5881'S instead . & the preamp tubes run there own DC circuit . Basically a 2 power tube ,3 preamp tube circuit .
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Working...
            X