Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Saver Soldano Project

Greetings fellow amp-builders,
    as a sort of delayed introduction to this community, I would like to show of my current amp project. It has been over a year that it has been waiting for completion, but it came together very nicely over the last couple of weekends. What I build is a souped-down version of the famous Soldano SLO-100, souped down because the high gain preamp is coupled to a power section of only 16W, sporting two PL84 tubes.

The amp is basically build around two parts: A "Solton Craafty 30"
    Combo amplifier that I scored from eBay for 120€, and from which I
    only retained the chassis and the iron. The second major component is
    the PCB, which was designed by Joachim Müller, who probably build the
    nicest SLO-Clone in existence, and made a small production run of the
    PCBs which can be bough from www.tube-town.de. Other than that I only
    bought the pots and the tube sockets, everything else come from my scrap
    heap. The total cost is only around 250€ so far.

The amp is working pretty well right now, without requiring any debugging, which is almost worrying since I tend to be really sloppy when building stuff. This is the first tube amp I have build so I was very impressed that it was working straight away, usually my projects burst in flames when I
    flip the switch the first time

Most of the work actually went into the head shell and the front plate, which I cut from 4mm aluminium. I anodized it after cutting the slots and I tried dying it, but for some reason the dye would not stick, so it has to stay gray. The head shell is only a prototype really, since I want to make one from flamed maple when I get my woodworking skills up to par.

Well, enjoy the pictures and dont hesitate if you have any questions.
    Attached Files
    "A goat almost always blinks when hit on the head with a ball peen hammer"

Tre cool How does it sound? Is that speaker cabinet what the combo chassis was originally in?
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Very nice!

I don't have the patience to do woodwork. I have a furniture builder friend make my cabs for me.

Here's a pic of one of my recent builds. This amp has a Plexi-ish front end with a Champish power amp. Sounds great.

Last edited by Jag; 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM. Reason: Oooppps! Don't link LARGE pictures! :-)

Comment

I finally got round to making a cab for it. I am trying a very special variation with "reverse loaded" drivers

The cab in the above picture was - you guessed it - from the donor amp, and it was a cheap, nasty piece of particle board. I hate particle board, did I ever mention that? Nothing beats traditional woodworking!

Now I just need to find a good speaker for it, since the one in there right now (that came with the amp) is f****** and the voice coil scratches on the magnet. I tried fixing it, but I guess some things you just can't do yourself. I am thinking of getting a neodymium speaker, as the cab is heavy enough as it is.

Oh, one thing I noticed: When I put the back wall on the cab (With the speaker in the right way round), the volume drops to less than half, so I am guessing the power output drops to a tenth or so. Is it normal for closed cabs to be that much less efficient than open back cabs? Or did I do something wrong?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Joe Bee; 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM.
        "A goat almost always blinks when hit on the head with a ball peen hammer"

Comment

Schematic

Hello, which schematic did you use? I have the pcb boards from tube town, but can't find the right schematics.

Comment

Nice. How did you cut those dovetail joints? I not crazy about the woodworking part of this stuff either....

Comment

Joe Bee last posted over 8 years ago, so unless he has an email subscribe for this thread, we may not hear back at this point.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X