Probably not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably not...

Just wondering if anyone uses partially bypassed pre-amp stages.

I saw a design the other day where the Rk was 1000 + 500 ohms (series), and the 500 ohm leg was bypassed with the typical large value cap.

I reckon this is done as a means to reduce the stage gain.

I have seen that done in the 30W combo I butchered for my SLO project. I am wondering if really is just about reducing gain, since that could be done by using a smaller plate resistor with the added benefit of reduced output impedance. And would anyone really care about a 1 or 2dB gain reduction?
    "A goat almost always blinks when hit on the head with a ball peen hammer"

Comment

It's not about gain reduction. It's about changing the eq curve of the particular gain stage. partially bypassing a cathode resistor like that has a completely different response curve than either changing the coupling cap on the output, or bypassing the plate resistor.

-Carl

Comment

So, does it move the curve lower in frequency if you do that? (I'm thinking so, but ready to be corrected)

Comment

cathode bypass

generally speaking, using smaller value caps for bypassing the cathode resistior will brighten the signal. using the smaller value will produce what's called a shelving effect. lower frequencies are attenuated and higher frequencies are not.
          Clyde

Comment

If we're speaking in terms of the 'typical' 1500 ohm/25uF triode circuit:

If you make the 1500 ohm Rk out of a 1000 and a 500 ohm resistor, and then bypass the 500 ohm resistor (leaving the 1000 connected between there and the cathode) - the gain of the stage drops by ~32%. The lower -3dB roll off point moves from the fully bypassed frequency of ~8hZ to ~17hZ.

Just from an acedemic standpoint, what would be more obvious, a gain change from ~60 to ~37, or a -3dB point of 8 hZ to 17hZ....?

Comment

Working...
            X