Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 designs with pentode (6au6) in late preamp: SE 6V6 & PP EL-84

Hi folks,

I have a bunch of 6au6 tubes and wanted to build something to put them to use. I looked at some EF-86 amps and also at Merlin's information regarding a pentode as a later stage in the preamp. I first built a single ended amp, just because I had mostly all the parts I needed, but also to test if the 6AU6 tubes that I have are any good.

This is the schematic of the single ended amp that I put together:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentode6V6SE_schematic_v1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	876517

It's a bootstrapped first gain stage, just because I wanted to try that out, then a Framus style mid-scoop tone control, because I like the versatility it gives, going into the 6AU6 pentode with values as suggested by Merlin. Then finally a 6V6 single ended output stage.

It turned out cool, I am digging the sound. If I turn up the volume all the way, and lower the master volume, it gives a nice slightly crunchy sound. But it also cleans up nicely when I lower the volume and raise the master volume. It was really bright at first, and I even had a bright switch wired across the volume pot. Instead I turned that into a dull switch and raised the grid stopper on the 6v6 to 15k. The highs are tamed now, and flicking the dull switch is nice when switching between different guitars pickups. The only problem is, I I think I have to attenuate the signal a bit more before the output I think. I can't really turn the master volume up all the way, or at least I haven't found the courage to do so, because it is really, really frickin' loud about half the way up. I am already using an audio taper pot.

What's the usual approach here, use a lower value master volume pot, like 500k or 250k, or rather add a resistor in series before the grid-leak resistor of the 6V6?

Since I was overall pleased with the outcome, I proceeded to try and make a more powerful amp based on the same preamp concept.
    So again, I have a bootstrapped first gain stage, into the same Framus style mid control, followed by the 6AU6 pentode, then a cathodyne PI, and finally an EL-84 push-pull output stage.
    Also, I am using an IRF 820 for the cathode follower... First time I am trying this MOSFET out.

This is the schematic of the Push-Pull EL-84 amplifier with a 6au6 at the end of the preamp:

Name:	AUTOLA_schematic_v1.JPG
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	876518

Question: do you think I will need more attenuation before the Cathodyne PI? I am thinking, if it's already too much in my first design, am I hitting the Cathodyne PI with too much signal? My tone circuit is really low loss too...

Is there something else I overlooked? Am I forgetting something?

I appreciate any comments & critique. Thanks!
    Julius

I am also wondering if I can actually use the IRF 820 in that Position, with the bootstrapping. I have only seen it swapped in for a regular cathode follower before.

So I went ahead and built it (the push pull Edition). However, I am getting squeal / oscillation when turning up the gain beyond a slightest bit. Sounds a bit like blocking distortion I believe. It stops when I pull the 6AU6. It's not the tube, I tested it in the single ended build. I meanwhile also found another design using the IRF 820 to bootstrap the previous gain stage, so I'm confident it should work.

I am now again thinking, I should probably attenuate the signal before it gets to the cathodyne PI.
    Last edited by j-stylez; 04-03-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Updated schematic, added attenuation before the PI (470k) and hooked up the 6au6 to b+3 instead of b+4, same as the PI.

I left out the IRF820 cathode follower bootstrap thing for now, to get the basic circuit working first and rule out any other issues before trying the MOSFET thing.

Next I will add the IRF820 again.

Name:	_20200404_131252.JPG
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	857192
      Last edited by j-stylez; 04-04-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X