IRF710 as Ampeg style verb driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRF710 as Ampeg style verb driver?

I'm looking at using an IRF710 as a transformerless reverb driver for high impedance tanks ala Ampeg. I had toyed with the idea of a cascode and other various hybrids of mosfets and jfets but I really like the idea of creating a simple bias network and having the mosfet soldered to the turret board with a little heatsink on it- less parts, less space consumed, hopefully less to break.

Of course...input capacitance is a problem. The IRF710 is one of the lowest Ciss mosfets I could find with a suitable power rating. How low a driving impedance will I have to use to get a usable frequency range out of it?

Would adding a source resistor (say 330 ohms?) diminish the hi frequency rolloff enough to make a usable verb driver without killing all the gain? I bet RG will have something to say!

I prefer to use a 1m pot instead of the grid resistor on fender circuits for an adjustable verb drive control. I'd like to achieve something similar here without increasing the parts count too much but I understand that input capacitance could be a problem. I'm trying to use up some old high impedance tanks I've collected over the years and the Ampeg circuit really seemed like the way to go...but I don't want to waste valuable chassis space or heater current.

jamie

MOSFETs have about 100 times more gm than any preamp tube (the datasheet quotes it in amps per volt, not mA/V!) So you'll end up needing that source resistor anyway, to get it behaving more like a tube, in any application except source follower. If you use a configuration with voltage gain, you also need to worry about Crss and Miller effect.

Another option might be a Darlington pair made of high voltage BJTs. Say a MPSA42 followed by a MJE340. It should draw so little base current that you can bias it like a MOSFET, and have lower capacitances than a MOSFET, and again you use an emitter resistor to get the gm down to what you want. I believe Peavey used tricks like this in their Transtube technology.

Or the MJE340 might even work on its own. I remember seeing a hybrid tube/SS radio receiver in a ham radio projects book that used a MJE340 as the audio power amp, running off the same B+ as the tubes and driving the speaker through an output transformer... The designer mentioned that he didn't have enough current on the low voltage rails to drive an ordinary transistor amp!
    Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more people would have input on this idea but I guess that just shows that I don't know much!

I was thinking the mosfet would have low enough capacitances that it would work as a verb driver but I haven't had the time or patience to simulate it and see where the high frequency response rolls off. If it won't work relatively simply and I have to have multiple transistors then I'd rather just make room for another tube. I think a magnatone style drive/recovery using a dual (dissimilar) triode would use very little space and current while solving my "simple reverb" problem.

jamie

Comment

Working...
      X