New Build - Class A 6L6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Class A 6L6

Anyone have any references to go by? I have some spare parts laying about and thought I'd throw together an SE Class A amp.

I have a 320-0-320 150mA PT, a pile of 6L6's, a few rectifiers SS, 5AR4, 5Y3, 5U4, a P12R and enough caps and resistors to build the turret board.

I need a recommendation on an OT. I want to be 20 Watts.

Also, can I use a the archetecture for a Champ or Valve Jr?

A 20watt SE OT is gonna be quite large.I built a 2x6L6 in SE parallel and used a Hammond 25watt SE OT,the thing is bigger than the PT.I think it was about $100.Using a single 6L6 in a Champ circuit wont get you 20watts.I have a Champ type clone,with a 6L6GC and a GZ34 rect,heftier PT and OT,getting about 375v or so from the PT and it maxes at about 14watts.The OT was wound for me by someone I found on the internet along time ago,dont have the link anymore,and dont remember the guys name,it was so long ago.Its 15watts wound for a 6L6 into an 8ohm load.Not familiar with the Epi VJ,so I cant even guess what you might squeeze out of that circuit,but I would think 20watts is asking a lot.My 2x6L6 SE is using a copy of the Trainwreck for the pre-amp and it only maxes at just under 30watts,I think about 27w.

Comment

I just took that PT (it's a Heyboer Bandmaster replacement) out of another build that I did where I was getting 399 to the plates using a 5U4, with a SS I was getting around 425-ish.

Would using the same OT you are talking about get me in that range? What input impedance am I looking for on the OT?

And just use a simple volume/tone repamp. I guess I am talking Princeton with fat iron?

Thoughts?

BTW, I am doing a search for 2x6L6 SE info.
      Last edited by mikeboone; 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Two of thoses in parallel, or two 6L6 in parallel on on,e that should do the job. Theses cope with 100ma.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._promot_widget

They're for sale every two weeks or so.

Comment

Go to www.hammondmfg.com You can see what they have available.I used the 1627SEA for the 2x6L6 OT.www.angela.com has that OT for $99.Its got a 2.5k primary,I dont remember offhand which tap I used to match it up with my speakers,but I have a 15" 8ohm Weber along with a 12" 8ohm Weber in a seperate Leslie type cab.I have 2 outputs to accomodate both cabs at once or one cab by itself.Hammonds are oretty good,but dont use the UL tap in that amp.It is rated for 30watts,but you can probably go to almost 40 with a Hammond,thier ratings are very conservative.Also,Angela instruments has a schematic for a 2X6V6 SE circuit you could use 6L6's just need to tweak the cathode resistor to bias it properly.Look in the "how to" section on the angela site.The OT I used in my single 6L6 amp was "wound to order" some time ago,I dont even know if this guy is still around,I went looking for him,but came up empty.Your PT should be okay for that application,but I would go with a 5V4 rectifier to keep the volts down some.Ideally class A should be around 300volts or less, but you can get away with what you have.If you can live without the tone control,you will get a little more volume and drive out of the Champ or Princeton circuit.

Comment

Just found this thread in a search and figured I'd point out the the Epiphone amps "Electar 10" and "Galaxie 10" are both SE 6L6 amps, albeit with solid state rectification , master volumes, and TMB tone stacks. Might be good to look at for ideas? I liked the sound of my Electar 10 years ago, with a swapped speaker and larger OT...

Also, if you're going parallel outputs and want it simple, find a Gibson Gibsonette schematic - it's parallel 6V6s , 1 volume control and that's it, again might get some ideas.

Good luck! I'll be watching this since a parallel SE 6L6 is one of those amps that keeps running through my head...

Comment

I'm running 6L6 SE in Dual mono mode, using two Hammond 125ESE OT's.
              It's plenty freakin' loud, and is wired for dual mono or stereo use through the FX send/return jacks. It's basically two 6L6 Champ outputs with a single preamp all in one head chassis.
              Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
              Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Working...
              X