Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tone differences with different primary Z ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tone differences with different primary Z ???

Just wondering what tone/feel differences you all notice with various primary Z's.

I've got a Mercury Magnetics O45-RS OT in an AC30 and it has taps for 6K6, 8k and 9k.

AC30s have a typical primary Z of 4k (afaik), so 6K6 will be fatter and more compressed right? 8k and 9k will be even more of that same tone, right?
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Originally posted by HTH View Post
    Just wondering what tone/feel differences you all notice with various primary Z's.

I've got a Mercury Magnetics O45-RS OT in an AC30 and it has taps for 6K6, 8k and 9k.

AC30s have a typical primary Z of 4k (afaik), so 6K6 will be fatter and more compressed right? 8k and 9k will be even more of that same tone, right?
    Why ask?... just do it and answer this yourself.
    You might be surprised at what YOU can hear rather then listen to what others, with little to no real world experience, say, "think" or "expect" they or you should hear, .... especially when their opinion is based on regurgitating countless previous opinions of others who also had or have very little real world experiences!
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I agree... Expected outcome from theory and sonic performance are not always a 1:1 deal in the tube world.

If you have the means, you should record each configuration with all things being equal on your amp settings. This way you can go back and listen objectively. My ears tend to get fatigued after a few hours of tinkering and testing.

If you just simply record the same passage over and over you will get a better sense of the subtle differences at a later time.

Comment

I have a similar question about primary impedance. Mercury Magnetics specced a replacement OT that is double the impedance I would have expected (9K as opposed to 5K for a SE EL84).

My concern is really safety for the amp. Would this obligate re-biasing or does the Impedance of a winding have little effect of Direct Current?

Comment

Originally posted by BJosephs View Post
          I have a similar question about primary impedance. Mercury Magnetics specced a replacement OT that is double the impedance I would have expected (9K as opposed to 5K for a SE EL84).
          That sounds like a primary load resistance for a Single-Ended 6V6GT (i.e. 8k2)
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

...Zpri affects tube/OT frequency response and roll-off
            ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Working...
            X