Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plexi and Mesa high-gain sounds from one amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexi and Mesa high-gain sounds from one amp?

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I think it would be neat to go from Marshall type power amp distortion to more of a scooped-mid high gain sound in one amp. I was thinking some sort of switchable attenuator might make it possible.

Any ideas?

jamie

look at the Fender Tonemaster schematic - they have a non-mv clean channel where the mv is switched out of circuit using relays.

the OD channel relays switch the mv back in and also redirect the signal path into more gain stages.

it's not hard in theory - in practice it's more work with getting the layout & lead dress correct and stopping the relays from popping.
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Use PowerScaling. See www.londonpower.com and www.powerscaling.com. Make the powerscaling switchable so you get full power on the high-gain (MV) channel, and lower power for the Plexi (non-MV) channel.

Comment

One might add a switchable tube. This is what some amp greats have done in the past:

Vancouver BC's Yukong Ho would add a CF'ed tube inside a Marshall style preamp circuit.

Lee Jackson often added a gain stage prior to a Marshall Pre

Remember that Guitar Player issue that had B. Egnator's article of how to add a tube, only 1/2 used, to a JCM800?

M. Soldano created that V1 tube board that kind-of was the easy way to do the above.

While we're at it, stomping on a Boss DS-1 work well too

I'll bet inserting switchable/bypass rack EQ after your preamp volume's wiper would make thing more vicious. Tone trumps EQ though.

Comment

Working...
        X