Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small tube amp for direct recording ? possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small tube amp for direct recording ? possible?

I?m looking for some advice on where to start on my tube amp project, mine is slightly different to normal I guess as I?m not planning on using a speaker, just headphones or directly into my pc for recording. I assume this means that I can get away with much less power, as there?s no speaker to drive?

I prefer hi-gain amps for rock/metal, but I?m hoping to build a warm tube with plenty of sustain, then use effects pedals when necessary to distort/wah/etc. Is there any reason this wouldn?t work well?

If someone could point me in the right direction for some reading material that would be great. I?m happy to do the research for myself, but at the moment, I can only find info on large powerful multi-tube monsters!

Is the idea even feasible?

Thanks

This might work?

I have heard one EXACTLY like this set up. It's unbelievable! You can get over the top ZZ TOP tones, or Steve Vai at normal conversational volume levels. In fact, I heard the owner demonstrate that while talking to me.

It's the most remarkable hobbyist home recording set up that I have seen or heard. The computer program allows you to dial in countless effects, speaker combos, mic placement etc............

http://www.el34world.com/projects/StereoPreAmp1.htm

With respect, Tubenit

Comment

You need some kind of guitar loudspeaker simulation at the end or it will sound like a thousand wasps.

Comment

Yep the whole mojo of a tube amp comes from all the tubes, ending up with the output stage driving a speaker of some description or other.

I'd say the best way is to go low power with a speaker and a good mic
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I?m not too concerned about the computer effects, I?d more likely use a multi-effects unit, it was more about being able to capture the tone of the tubes in the recording.

So what you?re saying is that if I recorded directly from a tube amp (rather than mic?ing a speaker), I wouldn?t get the tube effect? I use a SS amp at the moment so don?t have these issues, I guess I?ll have to try borrowing a tube to check the direct recording tonal qualities.

Comment

There are several companys that build tube preamps and you might want to look for some of their schematics and when possible listen to some things recorded by them. I personally think that tube preamps only really "work their magic" when are used infront of a tube power amplifier and speaker. There is alot of tonal enhancement that is achieved from the entire circuit. Another factor that needs to be taken into account is a impedence matching and that a 12a?7 can easily drive a signal to well over 50V which will kill your soundcard.

Comment

Well if you're specifically looking to record silently, then a speaker emulator (e.g. Palmer PGA04) is a good way to go. Power is irrelevant. Speakers act like filters (more efficient at some frequencies, less efficient/shelving at others), plus there's the inductance of a speaker to consider.

If you were looking to build a low power amp to record with (though still plenty loud for home use), I'm with Tubeswell, go far a small tube amp (5F2A?) & mic it.

Of course, no reason why you couldn't build yourself a nice little SE recording amp, or head, and still go through a speaker emulator.

Comment

Working...
              X