Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building something like a Fender Vibratone using a used Leslie Speaker assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building something like a Fender Vibratone using a used Leslie Speaker assembly?

Hello everyone, I know the last time I needed help this was the best resource I'd ever encountered on the web. I posted this on the FDP forum also just looking for various input but I'm not sure there will be anyone over there with this kind of experience. I tried to ask once before there and got no response. Then I remembered M.E.F !!! Yes!

I need to use this standard two speed Leslie speaker assembly (see photo) to build something similar to a 1960s Fender Vibratone amp. I've seen photos of that amp and it's Leslie assembly is nothing more than one of these stock units with some minimal supporting circuits and crossover.

The only thing I dont like about the fender design is the vertical plane they mount the speaker on causing it to not be as effective in a room as the old horizontal oriented speakers, in my opinion.

I'm thinking I'll need to build at a minimum some kind of power and control circuit for the Leslie with a couple of switches on the unit or at my feet to control it's speed and on/off. I also know they used a crossover circuit to feed the leslie 8-10" speaker with mids only. Not sure if I need that or not.

I'm tossing up the idea of building this as a non amplified slave speaker to a small Fender amp using the EXT speaker jack. I'm also tossing around the idea of installing it's own small amp chassis inside such as a hanging tweed deluxe or something similar. Needing advice ideas and especially details on what powers these motors, relays and assembly. It's easy enough to connect an amp to the speaker and build the cabinet but I'm just stuck on the Leslie two speed power and control. I found some semi helpful articles and photos on the web nothing complete enough to give me the info I need to build the supporting circuitry. I'm guessing a real schematic and diagram for this amp may not be available like many others. I'll keep looking.

More than anything I'm hoping for that added wisdom I usually get from this place. Nothing beats experience. Thanks again for your help in advance. And thanks for the help on my last project (BFPR) which has been working FLAWLESSLY for months.

PB
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PeaveyBandit; 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM.

Got this information too. I'm just not quite sure what some of the components are and what they look like. Such as M1, is that a sensor? part of a relay? And are those suppose to be SPST switches for speed on the right? These schematics are not complicated but still raising as many questions as answers. Not sure if I can just assemble something like this out of parts but I'd like to.

Schematic attched is courtesy of this web page which has more info HERE

This supplier has some Leslie controls and products I might email them about but honestly I'd rather build all this mess into my cabinet and not fork out tons of money for their product. It CANT cost that much to make what they are selling not to mention I can likely do the work the way I want it done.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's just two motors that run off the AC line. You turn on one of them to go fast, and switch over to the other one to go slow.

The circuit shown is just a device for switching between the two motors using a remote switch with a safe low voltage running through it instead of 120V. The main parts are a transformer to convert the line voltage to this lower voltage, and a SPDT relay to switch between the motors. The capacitors C4, C5, C6 are to suppress arcing at the contacts which might make popping noises in your amp. C3 is part of the crossover, I guess.

And M1 is a neon lamp that lights up when you turn it on.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Steve, That helps a lot!

Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
        X