Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this possible ?

Hi,

I've got this pretty crappy basscombo lying around and got the idea of turning it into a head so I can connect other speakers to it.

Now I know very litle (read: nothing) about electronics so I'd first like to know if what I'm doin is actually possible and, if possible, is an improvement of what I have now.
    The idea is to wreck my Fame SL30B Basscombo and then get it connected to another speaker, for example ASHDOWN - MAG 410 T DEEP.
    But then when I saw the backside of the basscombo, I found these specifications:

-POWER: 230 Vac 43W 50 Hz
    -SPEAKER RATING: 30W 8 ohm

Does this mean that the max output I can possibly get with this head, is the max output of a 43W speaker

Seeing the specs of the Ashdown, it wouldn't be of very much use to try this out then...
    -Power Handling 450W continuous
    -Speaker Configuration 4 x 10" + tweeter
    -Frequency Response 60Hz - 20kHz
    -Impedance 8 Ohms
    -SPL 101dB 1W @ 1m

Hope anyone can help ..

Cheers

It means your speakers need to be at least 30W. If you put more power than a speaker is rated for into it you will shake it to pieces (eventually). But the other way around isn't an issue. I have a 150W 12" speaker that I use with a 5W amp, for instance.
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Not even,

Obviously a solid state unit the device will put out 30W of audio power while consuming 43W of power from the electric mains to do so - and even this seems a trifle "too" efficient for SS but maybe.

So your 459W speaker is probably too inefficient (most high power speakers are) to produce much sound with only 30W drive - but a high efficiency speaker rated for at least 30W (personally I like some margin for transients so I'd recommend 50 W) would serve your purposes. Ted Weber's site - www.webervst.com - has scads of information on speakers and efficiency and choosing one that suites one's needs so I'd recommend reviewing that info source and if you've got more questiong bouncing them back here once you've used Weber's primer.

Rob

Comment

Working...
      X