Hammond 1750N...anyone used one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond 1750N...anyone used one

I was almost ready to put a $200 MM OT in my marshall style build, but due to several unexpected things including finacial i have reconsidered. I'm now looking at the hammond 1750n which is a 50 watt marshall replacement, and was was wondering if anyone has used one of these and what you thought?

You won't be disapointed. I used a 1650N in a harp amp. The only glich was the intensly bizzarre swithching matrix I had to concoct. I had to connect some wires in parallel only some of the time to make the thing work. I got it, but it was strange.

Comment

I have also had some great results with Hammond OT's, especially the 1600 series (yes, they are a bit tricky at first with the dual secondary configuration. Actually, CE Distribution/Antique Radio sells a kit that makes the secondary hook-up alot easier.). As far as their 1700 series goes (or ANY of their newer line "drop-in" replacements for Fenders, Marshalls, etc.), I haven't had any first hand experience as of yet. I'm sure they are "up-to-specs" to the originals, whereas I've found that the 1600 series (for instance) EXCEEDS the specs of most "originals", which are actually somewhat "generic" frankly (NOTE: the 1600 series is "intended" for "Hi-Fi" applications.)
      Mac/Amps
      "preserving the classics"
      Chicago, Il., USA
      (773) 283-1217
      (cell) (847) 772-2979
      Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

You guys are a bit late.....about a month i'd say. thats about when i installed the first 1750n. i then built a second amp thats a copy of the one i was asking about here. So i now have used two 1750N's, and they are indeed very good. I replaced a heyboer with the first one and liked it better, so i think that says a lot for them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy hammonds again.

Comment

Heyboer Transformer

Originally posted by daz View Post
          You guys are a bit late.....about a month i'd say. thats about when i installed the first 1750n. i then built a second amp thats a copy of the one i was asking about here. So i now have used two 1750N's, and they are indeed very good. I replaced a heyboer with the first one and liked it better, so i think that says a lot for them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy hammonds again.
          Are you saying you liked the Hammond transformer better than the Heyboer?

Or,you like the Heyboer better than a Hammond?

I know a couple of amp builders (commercial sales) that swear by Heyboer,but their tranny's are specially "Built to spec" down to the last detail...like cloth insulation on leads,etc...

Comment

My impression of the Heyboer transformers was that they were "up to" the standards of most generic "guitar amp" transformers, but not of the more "premium" grade of the better Hammonds and/or Mercury Magnetics. Yes, you DO pay the higher price tag, but, IMO they're a worthwhile investment.
            Mac/Amps
            "preserving the classics"
            Chicago, Il., USA
            (773) 283-1217
            (cell) (847) 772-2979
            Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
            www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Transformers

Thanks for the clarification.

I was referring to Metropolous Amplification.

Merc/Mags are an option on his amps,but he has > custom designed < Heyboer's that are as close as possible to original Marshell specs.

George has Heyboer's (of his design) in his personal amplifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by guitronics View Post
                Are you saying you liked the Hammond transformer better than the Heyboer?

Or,you like the Heyboer better than a Hammond?

I know a couple of amp builders (commercial sales) that swear by Heyboer,but their tranny's are specially "Built to spec" down to the last detail...like cloth insulation on leads,etc...

I prefer the Hammond. Thats not to say Hammonds are better, just that in this amp, of 2 similar OT's the Hammond sounded better. Maybe a different Heyboer would have sounded better, who knows. But my point was that you can't just assume heyboers are better, which is what i was led to believe from all i read. Then again from what i've read lately the one i bought was one of a new line that may be better than what they had before because they are made specifically for guitar amps.

Comment

Hammond Transformers vs. others

I like the Hammonds,also...but they SHOULD be great because they are so very expensive!

Transformers,tubes,resistors;and caps - as well as circuits - are good for some people,not others - and vice - versa.

What one person likes,another dis's.Such is life.

Comment

True, but in some cases it's not so subjective. In other words, when i said i liked the Hammond better i meant that it sounded better in a way that pretty much any player would prefer. There are sonic details few would argue with. For example, few want harshness or fuzzy flabby bass. So if one amp or transformer or whatever has a harsh and or flabby sound, i consider the one that sounds pretty much the same except for that particular detail the better one. It's only subjective in that there are always going to be a very few who actually WANT something odd like a harsh top or fuzzy low end. (some punk rock comes to mind) But lets face it, aside from the character of the tone itself there are things we all want such as sustain and such. Anyways, the point is the hammond had a less harsh high end and tighter lows which are the 2 things i was fighting with that amp. So i honestly doubt anyone would argue with my saying it was better in this amp than the hammond if they tried it both ways. Anyways, again i say IN THIS AMP. So the heyboer may be better than the hammond in a different amp. But the whole point again is that the hammonds, or at least the newer line are not the mediocre trannys which i was under the impression they were from what i have read many times.

Comment

Originally posted by guitronics View Post
                      I like the Hammonds,also...but they SHOULD be great because they are so very expensive!
                      From everything I've seen, Hammonds are a very good value and cheaper than most offerings from Heyboer. I wouldn't call them expensive...quite the opposite actually.

Comment

I may be wrong, but i think what he meant by that was that transformers are expensive in general, not that hammonds are expensive relative to other brands. At least thats the way i read it.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                          I may be wrong, but i think what he meant by that was that transformers are expensive in general, not that hammonds are expensive relative to other brands. At least thats the way i read it.
                          Oh well if that's the case, I definitely agree of course.

Comment

Working...
                          X