Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks all, making progress!!

Hello all.
    I would like to thank everybody who took the time to reply to my first ever post about voltages - cleared up some issues for me!!
    I would especially like to thank those of you who had my safety in mind! Do not worry though, I am only designing for now, when building starts I will be ably assisted by someone who knows what they're doing. Trouble is he lives in Southport (110 miles!!) and has counted himself out of the design phase - wants me to show willing by doing my own research. My design is plodding along quite nicely, I get about half an hour an evening to work on it.
    I am hoping to produce something that puts out anything from 20 to 40w.
    I haven't decided on the final figure yet for a few reasons. Cost is one, I will have to purchase the speaker since I don't have access to one. I could afford a Celestion G12M and this is rated at 25w, so building the amp to put out 40w would be a bit silly.
    Also those power amp valves...
    I have never heard a dissapointing sound from any amp that has utilised EL84s. I could run two or even four of these I think with the power supply transformer that was discussed in my "questions about voltages" thread.
    Or I could run 6L6GCs and have long term versatility as the octals would give more tinkerability options with regard to valve swapping in the future.
    I am unsure and undecided and so throw the floor open to suggestions and discussion!!!

Use whatever space allows. I built a harp amp with two octal and 4 9-pin sockets. But don't put the 9'rs in the corner of the chassis. Oscillation!

Comment

Working...
    X