No announcement yet.

PSU observations and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I highly recommend giving the article cited in post #15 a read (the one on the Valve Wizard site). Just ignore the math and stuff you don't understand; I'm sure there is a lot in it that will help you out.

I'm no expert, and learning all the time, but in a very small nutshell here is my take on it:

The operating point plotted in the middle of the load line is the idle point. Say you choose a B+, and plate and cathode resistors that put it at the intersection of the -1V grid line. An input signal applied to the grid will be added to the -1V and move the operating point left and right along the load line to the intersections of adjacent grid lines. The output signal is the corresponding plate voltage swing seen on the x-axis, the AC part of which is passed along to the next stage through the coupling cap.

In this case, if the signal is more than 2V peak-to-peak the positive part above 1V won't be seen at the output because if the grid exceeds zero volts (i.e., becomes more positive than the cathode), it will begin to conduct and effectively ground out the excess input signal. As a result, the output signal will be clipped on its negative swing, somewhat softly though, resulting in sweet-sounding even-order harmonics.

If the idle operating point is placed further to the right, say at -3V, the positive side of the input signal will come through just fine, but now the negative side will be first compressed (the plate signal for a given grid signal is reduced, because the grid lines get closer together) and then clipped, harder this time, when the tube ceases to conduct. This produces a squared-off waveform that has more odd-order and higher harmonics.

So, where you place the idle points on the load lines determines at what signal level distortion of the output will begin, and what kind of distortion it will be.

MPM
    Last edited by martin manning; 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I now think i understand why Mark Sampson designed the matchless PSU's the way he did, which to those who haven't noticed are not on series. Each node comes off of the same point, so they're in parallel. that way he can give each node the voltages he wants w/o them being affected by the previous node. i may try this as i adjust each node's r till i get the best tone.

Comment

But you realize that all the preamp stages are class A circuits, and their current draw varies very little. All you need to know is the current through each stage, and then it doesn't matter which way you get the voltages you want.

Yes, right now at the breadboard stage, in a series B+ string if you alter the current downstream it affects the voltages throughout. But once you decide on your voltages, they won't be moving around when the amp is built.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          But you realize that all the preamp stages are class A circuits, and their current draw varies very little. All you need to know is the current through each stage, and then it doesn't matter which way you get the voltages you want.

Yes, right now at the breadboard stage, in a series B+ string if you alter the current downstream it affects the voltages throughout. But once you decide on your voltages, they won't be moving around when the amp is built.
          Actually i think it's fine as is right now. I tried a few changes to the PSU this morning but it sounds best with 10k at the PI, then 27k at the other 2 nodes. I'm zipping this amp up for good, honestly ! In the several months i have been tweaking this thing, after a couple final tweaks today i now am so satisfied it's the first time ever i have zero desire to change anything. It's just about as perfect as a novice like myself could ever expect/want from a self built amp. So it's going to a friend of mine friday and i'm building a copy for myself.

Comment

This is a killer thread. alot of info... and Enzo your first post cracks me up, but is also very very informative.

I just wanted to say that the first tube in the chain is prob only seeing the 200mv or so signal from the pickups. It's probably just a small enough signal that it doesn't get close to grid clamping or peaking on the plate supply. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
            X