Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6G15 stand alone reverb (PT and Reverb tranny qns)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6G15 stand alone reverb (PT and Reverb tranny qns)

In comtemplating whether to build a new amp with reverb and trem (which I still am thinking about), my mind then turned to wondering about the 6G15 (which I could simply hook up to my existing 5G9 - or whatever other tweed amp I want to build).

1) Reverb tranny qns
    Hoffman site says you can use a 6V6 or a 6K6 to drive the reverb tranny.

http://www.el34world.com/Hoffman/images/fendrev.gif

Can I use a P-TF22921 tranny with a 6V6/6K6 driver? (or should that kind of tranny be kept for use with twin triode 12A_7 driver?)

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/...item=P-TF22921

2) Power tranny qns
    The fender scheme (see attachment) lists the PT as a 68319-A (for which tubesandmore.com offer a P-TF47609 - 340VDC@0.7mA , 6.5V@1A). I can't find any spec on the net through my searches for far for a 68319-A, so I trust the P-TF47609 spec is good.

Why is the PT HT flicked through 3 diodes off one side of the winding in the Fender Scheme? I suspect it is to rectify the HT (but if it is already a DC supply, what gives?) Or is it something to do with the relatively high HT winding voltage (i.e. for something that is only driving 1 x 6V6/6K6 and two 12AX7s)?

What sort of diodes are they? 1N4007?
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

The Fender schem uses a half wave rectifier.That transformer may work,but it isnt ideal.You want something with about 6 to 8k primary for a 6K6 or 6V6.Check www.tedweber.com the WRVBPT PT and the WO22905 for the driver.I've used them and they are good.

Comment

Use Champ transformers and full wave rectify it. It'll work great.

Comment

The lower power output transformer for the 12??7 triode reverb drivers are pretty minimal...mine blew on one amp and I replaced it with the output transformer from an AA5 radio. You might also consider ecl82, 6dn7 or another power tube/pre-amp tube combo envelope so that you can minimize chassis space. My amp drives the tank with one half a 12dw7 (essentially a 12au7 on the driver side) and it gets plenty reverby. You don't *need* to use a 5 watt output on the tank, but I understand the allure...some of the lower power 6v6 variants sound very different and very good as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the pointers you good people.

I've ordered a 15W champ SE OT with the intent of driving it with a 6V6. I haven't absolutely decided what to do about the PT yet.

I have a 2nd-hand PT that is 376VAC with no CT and might be okay with a 1/2-wave rectifier and a choke filter and I have a 90mA choke filter on order, but I'm tempted to keep that for a tweed pro/bandmaster/bassman, and maybe go with a FW diode-rectified (NOT Bridge Rectified) lower power PT that has a CT (and use an RC filter instead).

So I was reckonining I'd need about 340VDC on the Plate supply (so that's got to be a 240-0-240 secondary at about 100mA?) - would that feed too much current into the pan (Its an accutronics type 4)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Okay so I just saw the Tore T site, where he recommends using something in 220-240VAC winding range for the revibe , so I'll go with that.

Comment

Working...
            X