Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Doubling Guitar Amp Power Output Affects Speaker Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
    A JMP Super Lead was too much for me. I certainly wished that the other guitarist didn't also have one, or at least didn't insist on 'natural' valve overdrive, ie ear bleeding volume, for his solos
    Too funny. I've been down that same road dozens of times. Typically every time it happens I politely explain what a volume control is, and I insist the player stand directly in front of the cab rather than off to the side where he typically is. I've even had it happen with Super Reverbs. Those four tens can be very directional -- the array effect. Players sometimes don't "get it" until they're precisely on axis. And then if they still don't get it, I'm out of there. I've got better things to do with my time than share stages with the clueless.

I once heard Robin Lane and the Chartbusters live. I'm pretty sure it was Leroy Radcliffe up there, playing a Tele through a Twin with JBL D120s. I was at the back of the club and even back there it was torture, especially when the lead break in "When Things Go Wrong" came around. They typically weren't mic'ing instruments back then, so the amps had to carry the room.

But anyway, one of the most responsible players I shared a stage with ran a 50 watt EVH into a Mesa CabClone. That guy had tone to die for. Total perfectionist. You'd think it would occur to some of these volume freaks to try something like that. I don't know. Maybe I expect too much of humanity...

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Unbypassed cathode resistance is common practice with LTPIs. I don't think V4 in a Fender compares to a differential amp.

Some literature: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/SelfSplit.pdf
      I remember servicing a Gibson GA20 with a paraphase that had a really vicious overdrive character. A temporary type 1 master vol revealed that the paraphase was spitting out parasitic blips when it was being (heavily) overdriven. With a bypass on the shared cathode, the blips were gone and the amp behaved nicely. A paraphase is a pair of cascaded stages, so the ‘V4’ positive feedback mechanism should apply?

But for the self split p-p pair, as the common grid section doesn’t do a polarity flip, that mechanism can’t operate
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
      X