No announcement yet.

Explain this preamp circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it seem strange that the old 82k and 100k anode load resistors were still used? As the current source should result in them causing an imbalance.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACltp1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	929215
      If is Rt=0, does Cg2 get enough excitation to tube operate as phase inverter?
      It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
        Does it seem strange that the old 82k and 100k anode load resistors were still used? As the current source should result in them causing an imbalance.
        The imbalance is relative. You forgot that HiFi has a completely different philosophy.
        It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ACltp1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	929215
          If is Rt=0, does Cg2 get enough excitation to tube operate as phase inverter?
          Cg2 grounds the right triode grid, excitation of the right triode is from the left triode via the cathodes. The tail resistor is Rb + Rt. If Rt is shorted the balance will be be very poor because the low value of Rb is a poor approximation to a CCS (Rb is a 'short' tail) but if Rb is replaced by a CCS balance will be excellent because a CCS is effectively an infinitely long tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
            It is in the tail It's ensuring a constant tail current through R6. I think R6 is redundant. It could be replaced by a short.
            Originally posted by Dave H View Post
            Cg2 grounds the right triode grid, excitation of the right triode is from the left triode via the cathodes. The tail resistor is Rb + Rt. If Rt is shorted the balance will be be very poor because the low value of Rb is a poor approximation to a CCS (Rb is a 'short' tail) but if Rb is replaced by a CCS balance will be excellent because a CCS is effectively an infinitely long tail.
            Rb is the cathode resistor.
            Rt is the tail resistor.
            I probably didn't understand something best. Sorry
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
              The schematic shows equal 100k plate resistors (?).
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Effective tail resistance is the sum of bias resistance and lower tail resistance. Regarding the tail it doesn't matter where it is tapped, as there is no current through the grid leak resistors.

Some thoughts:

The second triode is driven via its cathode. Means that there needs to be some signal voltage at the top of the total tail. (For the same reason the tail must not be bypassed).
                Now if the signal currents through both triodes were exactly balanced, the tail signal would be zero, because the signal currents are out-of-phase and cancel.
                Consequently some current imbalance is essential to make the circuit work. The signal current of the first triode always needs to be somewhat larger.

The higher the tail resistance (impedance) the less current imbalance is required to produce/drop the same cathode signal voltage.
                So high tail impedance improves balance.(and lowers common mode gain).
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-17-2021, 02:44 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

The schematic shows equal 100k plate resistors (?).
                  Haha, my mind was playing tricks on me, I would have sworn that R12 was 82k
                  My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

100k / 82k uses Marshall.
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

(Referring to my post #22)

I think it works like this:

For ideal balance (with identical plate resistors) both triodes require equal (but opposite phase) grid-to-cathode signals. This happens when the cathode signal is 50% of the PI input signal.
                      More than 50% would increase the signal current of the second triode and thus lower the cathode signal until it's back at 50%.
                      Lower than 50% would have the opposite effect.
                      So the circuit should be self-adjusting.

Practical example:

Input signal 1V, cathode signal 0.5V.
                      Necessary differences between triode signal currents with total tail impedance of:
                      1k. 0.5mA
                      10k: 50ľA
                      1M: 0.5ľA

The current difference will reflect as gain difference at the plates.

Makes sense?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                      X