KT88 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hylaphone View Post
    So this suggests the bottleneck is either OT losses, or plate supply current?
    As your B+ sags by only around 25V at full power, I don't see a supply current problem. Supply current is determined by the tubes, not the PT.

Another question (sorry to ask): Are you sure your screen resistors are actually 47R and not 47k?
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-24-2021, 10:56 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

As your B+ sags by only around 20V at full power, I don't see a supply current problem. Supply current is determined by the tubes, not the PT.

Another question (sorry to ask): Are you sure your screen resistors are actually 47R and not 47k?
      Yes they are 47 ohms.
      So perhaps an OT with lower primary Z would yield more power?

Comment

Originally posted by hylaphone View Post
        So perhaps an OT with lower primary Z would yield more power?
        Use Nick's calculator to find out. I wouldn't go lower than 4k though to avoid plate overdissipation.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Use Nick's calculator to find out. I wouldn't go lower than 4k though to avoid plate overdissipation.
          4.2K yields about 10W more

Comment

Supply current is determined by the tubes, not the PT.
            Maybe I'm missing the context, but I don't understand this statement. Maximum supply current is determined by the PT, is it not?

Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Maybe I'm missing the context, but I don't understand this statement. Maximum supply current is determined by the PT, is it not?
              A PT has a thermal current limit. Doesn't mean it can't supply more current, but will overheat.

For a given B+ the current is solely determined by the load, i.e. the tubes and the PT has no influence. All the PT can do is sag the voltage.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-25-2021, 01:44 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

…As mentioned earlier, you might have somewhat inefficient tubes.
                E.g. Prof. Zollner found that Chinese KT66s can produce less output than original GEC types because of higher "saturation" voltage.
                Don't know about KT88s, though.
                Yes, modern power valves just don’t seem to produce as high an output as old vintage production ones that are still serviceable. Beam types, at least. The only apparent explanation seems to be that the anode voltage on their Vg1 = 0 curve is a bit higher, thereby reducing the max p-p voltage swing.

My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                  The only apparent explanation seems to be that the anode voltage on their Vg1 = 0 curve is a bit higher, thereby reducing the max p-p voltage swing.
                  Yes, that's what I called "saturation voltage" (had seen this English term used somewhere). Zollner calls it "residual plate voltage" (my translation).
                  It is the voltage drop across the tube at max. signal current.

A tube with an increased saturation voltage has a more rounded plate characteristic and increased plate dissipation at full power.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I get that this might be an exercise in theory and a quest for knowledge, but I'd just like to point out that "squeezing out a few more watts" isn't something to be concerned about. A few more watts will be hardly noticeable with respect to SPL. You'd need to double the output power to get even a 3dB increase.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      A few more watts will be hardly noticeable with respect to SPL.
                      See post #56.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, that's what I called "saturation voltage" (had seen this English term used somewhere). …
                        Yes, I’ve read that terminology somewhere, but wasn’t keen on it, as it might imply some relationship to operation in saturation mode, which is something else again.
                        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Fully agree, that's why I typically use it between double quotes.

Now we're in need of a better term. Any suggestion?
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

A PT has a recommended thermal current limit. Doesn't mean it can't supply more current, but will overheat.
                            Ok. So the measured sag seems to tell us it's not a PT issue.
                            But I've re-read the entire thread and one data point that is missing is the make & model of PT. It would be good to know.

Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              I get that this might be an exercise in theory and a quest for knowledge, but I'd just like to point out that "squeezing out a few more watts" isn't something to be concerned about. A few more watts will be hardly noticeable with respect to SPL. You'd need to double the output power to get even a 3dB increase.
                              Yes, appreciated. I'm trying to have a more "holistic" understanding of all the factors discussed here so that I may design better output stages. This thread has been extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                                Ok. So the measured sag seems to tell us it's not a PT issue.
                                But I've re-read the entire thread and one data point that is missing is the make & model of PT. It would be good to know.
                                It's custom from Hammond, with a separate winding for the screen supply. I couldn't find an off-the-shelf transformer that fit the bill. But now I have a bunch of these to try out in different designs..

Comment

Working...
                                X