Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain section frequency response

Hi,

So we have this gain section from a real amp. The question is how to recalculate component values if I want to replace the 500k pot with an 1M one and get the same frequency response.
    I may be wrong but but I see here a capacitive divider (K5/K4) and a parallel RC filter (K5/P1). At first I thought it would be enough to change to K4 to 1nF but then I found this PDF file (p13-15) where things look more complicated.
    So what do you think about this?

Attached Files

We’re missing the output impedance of the preceding stage.
    Lecture 14 probably assumes that it’s 0, whereas for a common cathode stage, it’ll probably be in the range 40k - 100k. So large enough to skew the calculations a bit.
    But halving all the cap values should be close enough for a guitar amp.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

The preceding stage is a common cathode stage.

Attached Files

Comment

That's the Uberschall, isn't it?

ditto what pdf64 said. Alternatively I have wired two 1M resistors from lugs 1 and 3 to lug 2 of the 1Meg pot. not exactly the same, but it works.

Comment

Yes, it's the Uber. The thing is the gain control is very sensitive with a regular 500k log pot which is ~25% taper, so I decided to use a 1M 10% taper I had by hand.

Comment

Do it the right way.

Get a 500k 10% pot, which by the way is a standard part and easy to find.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

A 5% 500k would be even better but it's a R16 type PCB pot and I have yet to see a 10% one of that type. I've used Bourns PDA24 type for other projects and they were 10% but not suitable in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post

But halving all the cap values should be close enough for a guitar amp.
                On review, it may be better to connect the LPF cap (eg 1nF) K4 directly from anode to 0V or cathode, or at least after C1.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
                X