How much filtering for this amp..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much filtering for this amp..

SO, I have a little 8" Combo I used some years ago as a test amp.. I've decided to use the Crunch Channel of my JCA50 as the latest version (with a few tweeks) Last weekend I did some modding to the JCA and have it sounding to my liking.

It (Crunch) has enough gain for practicing and it will fit into the amp as I only have 3-9 Pin spots to make it happen. 2-12AX7's a 1-EL84 Cathode biased is the recipe.. I've sourced a PT and I'll even put a little 10H Choke in there!

https://www.hammfg.com/part/269EX

https://www.hammfg.com/part/157J

So as far as filtering, I don't think I need everything per the schematic as I'm only running 1 humble EL84, but I want it to be as tight as the real amp.

What would you do??

Tight? Switching from push pull to single ended means you are going to class A. Push pull stages have a natural hum cancellation effect. Single ended amps do not. Thus you need MORE filtration, not less.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Okay, how much?? LOL They reason is only for lack of real estate.The amp was a Crate V5. It originally only had 1-12AX7 and an EL84..
      Here are some old pics from when I did the conversion.. I have since put it through numerous revisions..

Comment

Here's what it looks like now. I haven't looked at this thing in a while..
        I think I figured out just by trial and error that more filtering worked.. Look at all of this..

Comment

you need a wooden chopstick, brotha'
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

It's been in the closet for years.. But thanks. I think I got this..

Comment

Originally posted by leadfootdriver View Post
              So as far as filtering, I don't think I need everything per the schematic as I'm only running 1 humble EL84, but I want it to be as tight as the real amp.

What would you do??
              I'd always use a pi filter on a single ended amp.

And I'd change those 47u input caps to 47n

Comment

Working...
              X