HV artificial CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HV artificial CT

Saw someone say they had found a setup like this in a (working) amplifier for the high voltage supply. I've never heard of it or seen it before (or am I just not recognizing it?).
    I'm guessing there must be reasons it's not common, what kind of problems does it present?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HV no CT.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	945756
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

It's basically just a Full Wave Bridge. Two legs have extra diodes. The "short" legs need to be able to withstand full peak Voltage. Output is the full V peak of the winding.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Yes, assuming it’s feeding a reservoir cap, the (unloaded) VDC will be 1.4x the winding VAC. Whereas with a CT to 0V & 2 phase rectifier arrangement, the VDC will be 0.7x the winding VAC.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Thanks, a real 'duh' moment, sometimes it's right in your face but you can't see it.
        Just a standard bridge arrangement with extra diodes as noted. It was a conversion from full wave CT, so it looked funny on paper with the extra diodes.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
        X