Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small value cap across large filter caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small value cap across large filter caps?

I have seen this on a few amplifiers. Why do they put a small value capacitor across the large value filter capacitors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fm212r filter caps.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	955954

The huge caps smoth ripple - low frequency noise. But they respond poorly to high frequency noise. The small caps however respond well to that, shunting noise off the rails.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks. Is this the same reason why I see small value caps across the individual four diodes (full wave rectifier) in high powered Fender tube amps?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fender twin bridge rect.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	955964

Comment

yes.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

For low distortion (and sometimes stability) at high output currents it is essential that filter caps have very low impedance at all audio frequencies.
          Older ecaps often had increased impedance (composed of ESR and inductance) at HF.
          Paralleling foil caps lowers HF impedance.

Modern ecaps suitable for SMPS application have very low impedance even at HF, so adding foil caps gives no benefit.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
            Thanks. Is this the same reason why I see small value caps across the individual four diodes (full wave rectifier) in high powered Fender tube amps?

Click image for larger version  Name:	fender twin bridge rect.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	955964
            Those are snubbers like mentioned previously, more commonly I've seen a single cap across the AC inputs. The cap value is based on load and should be the right type of cap (there is no "'one sized fits all" snubber) they are chosen to deal with a specific type of noise thats encountered in a specific circuit. proof of this is the fact that they are quite rare now a days. Maybe our diodes are better?

There is a article with some decent math by Jim Hagerman on calculating their values, available by googling "calculating optimum snubbers hagerman"

Comment

Good question Axtman thanks for asking...

I am not surprised by the answer but didn't really know for sure. It may help with a noisy WEM I am dealing with.

Comment

Always waiting/hoping for inquiring questions .
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Why is there air?

Should I walk to school or carry my lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Why is there air?

Thanks for your questions.
                    The answers don't lie within my core competency.

One can always lead a good intent ad absurdum .
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-20-2022, 10:42 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Often those snubbers are also need to stop noise from flowing back into the AC line. UL/CE Certification.

Comment

Why is there air?
                        Air is to blow up footballs with. C'mon, you knew that
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Why is there air?

Theres air because we cant breath underwater.Definately take the bus to school and carry your lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post

Air is to blow up footballs with. C'mon, you knew that
                            Unless you're with the Patriots.
                            --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

He He He ...

Comment

Working...
                              X