No announcement yet.

Hammond vs Mercury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be a bit of a hater, but I've come around on Mercury. They make a nice product. It's expensive, and I've never bought one because I can get a comparable product at a better price. I, as a repair technician, am relatively easy to keep happy as long as I don't have to start drilling to install what they advertise as a "drop-in" replacement. I get real grumpy when they lie to me about that.
    However, as a designer/builder, they are next to useless to me in that they provide NOTHING in the way of useful technical data about their product. I really don't even consider them as an option. ...and their website sucks. just sayin'
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

The biggest issue I have with 'designer iron' is context. Say you're in a silent studio and have a perfect A/B listening environment, perhaps you can hear a difference, and perhaps you prefer the sound of the expensive iron (double-blind testing would be good here ). Now, take that amp and put it on a live stage with a bunch of other instruments. or in a recording with a busy mix. Are you still going to hear that difference? The (perceived) perfect is the enemy of the good.

Comment

"The (perceived) perfect is the enemy of the good."
        Nice quote!

Comment

Working...
        X