Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb Tanks/types...

Hi All,
    In the Fender Rivera amps from the early 80s, did Fender use any type 9 reverb tanks (3-spring) in any of these models, or were they all the type 4 reverb tanks (2-spring)? Just interested to know.

Bob M.

How about type 8 ?
    3 spring shorty. Super Champ and Princeton Reverb II
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Are you looking for some sort of collectability data? Otherwise the 9 series and 4 series are compatible and can be substituted for one another. If you like three-spring better, go for it.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        Are you looking for some sort of collectability data? Otherwise the 9 series and 4 series are compatible and can be substituted for one another. If you like three-spring better, go for it.
        OOooooh... As a guy whose built a few custom amps with reverb I'll just pipe in and say that the three transducer per side long tanks (actually SIX springs I guess) are very, very tender and prone to microphonics. The three spring shorty tanks (actual spring and transducer per side count) sound near as good as the two transducer per side long tanks (actually 4 springs) and are the least microphonic.

I'm specifying actual spring number above because I've seen references to actual spring number in ads and such. So I'm just trying to be clear. I know that most members here call the stock Fender long units a "two spring tank". Correct in nomenclature but wrong none the less.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

We have our preferences and there are subtle differences, but they all will work. I personally think the shorty tanks have too much of that "screen door spring" tone to them.

If you don't call them 6-string, I won't call the 4 series tanks 4-spring. Call me jaded, but I don't care if the spring has two ends joined together. That is marketing lingo. If I call a 4 series 4-spring, there will be a certain number of readers who will assume there are pans with four long springs instead of two.

MAkes a difference if it is a combo amp
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm just interested to know. Still haven't gotten my question answered?!?

I realize it's pretty easy to change out a reverb tank and put in one you may like better but... How did Fender ship these (Rivera era) amps stock from the factory, with a 2 spring or 3 spring tank? I guess it's a manufacturing question. I realize that some of the smaller amps (like a Super Champ) used a shorter tank. I was hoping this thread wouldn't become a nomenclature war (2-spring/4 spring; 3-spring/6-spring).
            Bob M.

Comment

Well. my Super Champ has a short 3-spring tank.
              IIRC, the Concert II, I had in the 80s had a long 6-spring, 3-string () tank.

My personal favorite is the long 4-spring, 2-string type.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                The fender part # for the Concert II tank is shown on schematic as 021824. I couldn't find any reference to what the corresponding accutronics number was. If your memory is correct, the 30 and 75 amps also used the same tank.
                edit: part number on Concert II parts list is different from schematic, 064063 which does not match part number on Fender 75 parts list.
                Last edited by g1; 04-17-2022, 08:15 PM.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

And here is confirmation Fender 75 was the 9AB2C1B. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/could-...4/post-6678579
                  Photo shows 9AB2C1B number on same tank that shows 016919 fender number, which is specified in Fender 75 parts list.
                  Last edited by g1; 04-17-2022, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Do you know if this was OEM for the amp?

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Do you know if this was OEM for the amp?
                      The amp was completely new (from my own shop).
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The amp was completely new (from my own shop).
                        Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
                        I'm just interested to know. Still haven't gotten my question answered?!?
                        Well then it would seem that some 80's era Fenders were shipped from the factory with 3 string (six spring) tanks And that's the original question, right?

Comment

Now I'd like to know if there's evidence that not all Fender Rivera amps were OEM with 3 string tanks.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Now I'd like to know if there's evidence that not all Fender Rivera amps were OEM with 3 string tanks.
                            Concert II and Twin II specify 064063 in the parts list. This thread confirms that number as standard 2 spring 4AB3C1B:
                            https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=225794
                            (photos of tank with both numbers on it).
                            Last edited by g1; 04-17-2022, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I think it's safe to say some Rivera amps used the 3 spring tank but not all of them. And some may have went back and forth between the 2 types.
                              Almost all the schematics show Fender number 021824, but no hard evidence of what accutronics number that was.
                              Parts lists for amps showing that number in schematic have both 3-spring type (016919) and 2-spring type (064063)
                              Last edited by g1; 04-17-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X