Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a micro amp using 5902 submini's & nuvistors-Which of these output stages would you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
    Okay, I want to issue the caveat that this is not a proper demo. It was recorded using my phone resting about 8 feet from the amp. I just wanted to get a quick and dirty sample of me noodling using my guitar volume knob as an overdrive control. You can kind of get an idea for the feel and dynamics of the amp though.
    Sounds good, and a nice range from clean to over-driven.
    The 'cherry-bomb' might just be the right amp for my fall-out shelter.

Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

What I hear sounds good, but I'd like to hear some heavy/chunky/distorted rhythm samples. IMO, this is where many amps fail. They might sound good for single note or arpeggiated stuff, but break up poorly when pushed with full chord rhythm sounds. Not applicable here since this isn't a modeler, but this has always been my beef when people are demoing any sort of amp simulator device. They only show you lead guitar sounds, which give you no clue of note separation in chords or farting during chunky rhythm playing, which is the true test in my opinion. But again, your demo sounds very good.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Sounds very good to me.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          What I hear sounds good, but I'd like to hear some heavy/chunky/distorted rhythm samples. IMO, this is where many amps fail. They might sound good for single note or arpeggiated stuff, but break up poorly when pushed with full chord rhythm sounds. Not applicable here since this isn't a modeler, but this has always been my beef when people are demoing any sort of amp simulator device. They only show you lead guitar sounds, which give you no clue of note separation in chords or farting during chunky rhythm playing, which is the true test in my opinion. But again, your demo sounds very good.
          okay, my man. you got it. Chunky rhythms coming up next. But I'm warning you, I'm probably going tele bridge for those. Let's see how she does.
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Also, I made some final tweaks to the gain stage biasing and power supply nodes to get them dialed in, as well as some stabilizing additions as well. Sorry about the version control, but I really like where it's at right now.
            Unless I run into some issues with parasitics, I think this might be it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry Bomb Subminiature Tube Amp.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	979879
            If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Did I miss a post where you measured power output ? It sounds huge, probably bigger than it actually is (a good thing). What speaker was being used ?
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                Did I miss a post where you measured power output ? It sounds huge, probably bigger than it actually is (a good thing). What speaker was being used ?
                It measures 2.5W just at the point of clipping. But it’s loud.
                speaker is red fang in a closed cab

Comment

Okay dude, this is a clip from an improve jam we just did.

ChunkyRhythm.mp3

even went all neck pickup on that one. Can probably pull a couple more clips from that sesh.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that! IMO, it's much easier to judge an amp with this kind of sound sample. It sounds great! Congrats on a successful project! It seems all of those hours paid off.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Thanks for that! IMO, it's much easier to judge an amp with this kind of sound sample. It sounds great! Congrats on a successful project! It seems all of those hours paid off.
                      Thanks. The amp was pushed hard to compete with the drums. For my taste, I like the overdrive rolled back a little bit. Tends to smooth out

Comment

Working...
                      X