Mu Follower with a fixed bias upper triode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mu Follower with a fixed bias upper triode

Whenever I Mu-Follower circuits, they are either configured using cathode biasing or grid leak biasing for the upper triode (In my experience). However, is there any reason that it wouldn't work with a fixed bias as shown in the first (A) drawing below? Both are driven by capacitive coupling via the bottom triode plate voltage? Maybe I'm missing something

(The examples below use 6111 tubes in a realistic example with voltages listed at the respective nodes)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MU-Followers.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	961681
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
    Both are driven by capacitive coupling via the bottom triode plate voltage?
    Yes? But when you say it like that it sounds wrong to me. When someone says "plate voltage" I think of the supply voltage. But of course it's voltage modulation on the lower triodes plate that is allowed through the capacitor to the upper triodes grid that is driving the upper triode.

And I don't see any reason the circuit couldn't be fixed bias as you've shown (with the exception that you may need to adjust the bias voltage divider circuit values). But I do wonder if there's any advantage to it. I'm far from expert on this but there's so little voltage bias that any amount of shift in the cathode bias arrangement is likely insignificant. And it may be possible that the cathode bias arrangement allows for better operational condition tracking with HT sag.?. Not sure about this either but I'm just thinking out loud. I do know you CAN bias it as shown in your schematic without a problem.

What is your goal in changing the circuit to fixed bias?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

To me plate voltage means (momentary) voltage at the plate, so DC + signal AC (except for CF).
      Shouldn't be confused with plate supply voltage or "battery voltage" B+.
      Here we're speaking of plate signal (voltage).

Fixed bias should work, but will worsen PSRR and make the circuit more dependent on B+ fluctuations.

Also you will lose the bootstrapping of the upper grid resistance. So in order to not attenuate bass even more, coupling capacitance will need to be larger.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-05-2022, 04:18 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Great points. Just a design exercise, really.
        But I don’t see any advantage to a fixed arrangement.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

The µ-follower is discussed in Merlin's HiFi book (highly recommended!).
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Agree with Helms, "plate voltage" is voltage at the plate. The power supply is as stated "plate supply" or I prefer B+ or even HV rail.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well that's why I said it "sounds wrong to me". I do agree that 'plate voltage' is a mutually exclusive designator but easily nine out of ten times when someone refers to 'plate voltage' they ARE talking about the B+ DC voltage. I didn't have any trouble working out what was meant but I did need a moment for interpretation.

P.S. I spice modeled the circuit above (with a higher value coupling cap) and compared it to the cathode bias arrangement. It seems to work just fine with no significant difference in behavior or performance. But I can't be sure I looked for all the right things.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

P.S. I spice modeled the circuit above (with a higher value coupling cap) and compared it to the cathode bias arrangement. It seems to work just fine with no significant difference in behavior or performance. But I can't be sure I looked for all the right things.
                Did you add a "ripple source" to the supply and did you measure frequency response?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Merlin seems to include a portion of ripple voltage at the grid of the bottom triodes in examples of totem pole circuits in his Hi-Fi book - usually dialed in to provide optimum phase cancellation at the upper triode grid (via the bottom triode plate voltage )

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                    Merlin seems to include a portion of ripple voltage at the grid of the bottom triodes in examples of totem pole circuits in his Hi-Fi book - usually dialed in to provide optimum phase cancellation at the upper triode grid (via the bottom triode plate voltage )
                    Yes, at the grid of the bottom triode.

Cancellation requires out-of-phase signals.
                    The lower tubes inverts signal phase - the upper not as it's a CF.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-05-2022, 09:17 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Did you add a "ripple source" to the supply and did you measure frequency response?
                      I did not. I only viewed sine wave activity and amplification at similar bias conditions. Unfortunately I just plugged the circuit into an existing model and then didn't save it at the end. But I'll get around to redoing it tonight and repost tonight or tomorrow morning.

Comment

Yes, at the grid of the bottom triode.

Cancellation requires out-of-phase signals.
                        The lower tubes inverts signal phase - the upper not as it's a CF.
                        Correct

Comment

Did you want ripple injected at the cathode (I think) or the B+ supply. I tried injecting ripple at the B+ but even adding 2ohms of ESR to the filters I wasn't seeing any significant ripple past three filter nodes so there was no significant ripple at the mu follower to make a comparison.

The schematic in question has a partially bypassed cathode. but it seems to me that a fully bypassed cathode would help reject ripple in the filament supply. I think Merlin used a diode in the cathode circuit of the lower triode to do this in his example?

Comment

Ripple would exist in a DC filament supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Did you want ripple injected at the cathode (I think) or the B+ supply. I tried injecting ripple at the B+ but even adding 2ohms of ESR to the filters I wasn't seeing any significant ripple past three filter nodes so there was no significant ripple at the mu follower to make a comparison.
                              My point was about power supply ripple rejection, defined as plate supply ripple divided by corresponding ripple at circuit output.
                              It seems obvious that the bias divider adds 2/3 of the supply voltage ripple to the output.
                              The idea was to add a 120Hz ripple source (say 10mV) in series with B+ in simulation.
                              Dunno if that's possible with LTSpice or if all sources need to be grounded.

The PSRR result may not be a problem with a well filtered supply.
                              Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-06-2022, 09:31 PM.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X