feedback resistor and cap bypass to eliminate ice pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
    F/R doesn't need to be measured with single frequency input. An alternative would be noise analysis. Zollner uses both.
    That's a good point. But, doesn't the equivalence of single freq and noise analysis assume a linear system? It's likely that lower power tests meet that criteria better than high power.

That said, a high power NL system noise test can be revealing and may be useful. It's just not to be confused with F/R.
    “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
    -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post
      That said, a high power NL system noise test can be revealing and may be useful. It's just not to be confused with F/R.
      From Zollner's results it seems that guitar speakers are not really that non-linear with reasonable/typical drive.
      I trust him to choose an appropriate measuring method.

To me the speaker response question is settled.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

From Zollner's results it seems that guitar speakers are not really that non-linear with reasonable/typical drive.
        I trust him to choose an appropriate measuring method.

To me the speaker response question is settled.
        It may be settled for you - that's fine. You can believe what you wish.

A quote from Zollner's book may help others decide for themselves.
        On page ​11.3 he describes the options for voice coil length within the magnetic circuit. He explains that NL distortion is a factor due to the efficiency goal for guitar spkrs..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	118
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	974065

On page 11.53 he restates the view that NL effects are significant....

The non-linearity in the magnetic system clearly is the transducer coefficient (the force-factor): as system-variable Bl, it takes care of the proportionality between current and Lorentz force: F = Bl ⋅ I. However, this proportionality requires that the system variable Bl is independent of the signal – specifically independent of the displacement. That is not the case here: with increasing displacement, the coil moves out of the magnetic field and therefore Bl decreases.

In fact the whole chapter 11.6 is devoted to the various sources of NL behaviors of speakers.

Attached Files
        “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
        -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post
          A quote from Zollner's book may help others decide for themselves.
          Yes, guitar speakers may have like 10% distortion at rated power (players usually don't complain).

I just don't see a relation to the question if guitar speakers lose treble when pushed.

As said, as a player I don't experience such treble loss at stage level and Zollner's measurements show that f/r doesn't change with power.
          (BTW, the OP uses a 100W speaker with an 18W amp.)

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
          X