AC mains regulator IC for inductive loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC mains regulator IC for inductive loads

I came across this IC that it works with inductive loads. No indication of what the output waveform looks like, but it would be interesting to see if it could be used as variac substitute, or to install in an amp to drop the mains voltage so that a US mains transformer could be used with European voltages without having to swap out the transformer or use a step-down unit.

X10203-CSR-AB-4-Issue-6-2.pdf

How about controlling just the HT winding?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Might be an integrated phase cut dimmer (PCD).
      Some PCDs can be used with transformers having a linear load (like low voltage halogen lamps).
      But I'd expect problems with a non-linear load like a power supply, noise being the least.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I like the idea, but it'll have the same power dissipation issues as the VVR-type reducers. It may say "15 amps" but it still has to dissipate "amps consumed x voltage dropped" watts, which may not be trivial.

At least it's using the main device surface for earth/ground, which eliminates the needs for insulating washers.

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
          I like the idea, but it'll have the same power dissipation issues as the VVR-type reducers. It may say "15 amps" but it still has to dissipate "amps consumed x voltage dropped" watts, which may not be trivial.
          Not, if it's a switching device like a phase control dimmer.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
          X