Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECL82/6BM8 Anyone ever design with these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECL82/6BM8 Anyone ever design with these?

I worked out a design a few years back for a local guy that would basically make a mini DR AB763 Normal channel. He was going to use it with pedals and wanted it packaged into an ammo box as I'd built him a SE Tweed Princeton like that. I wound up designing and buying a modified 5E3 PT designed to run 280V B+ and also bought a 5E3 OT. It was only going to have 3 knobs (VTB), a bright switch, input and power switch. The amp would only use 3 tubes, two ECL82s for the PA and PI and one 12AX7 for the preamp. I knew I could package that all into the ammo box. Something must have fell through with this or we put it on hold due to some Covid nonsense.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's going to be that design but I was looking through my parts stock and thinking if he lost interest, maybe I'll build something else. The PT is 220-0-220 unloaded and is rated for 100mA. On the heaters I have 4A available.

I was almost thinking of doing a similar design as initial but adding in a SS reverb. I wanted to do this initially but I didn't think I had the space in the ammo box.

I like the ECL82. I recently discovered I had quite a few boxed NOS Mullards, so may build a little lunchbox amp as a side project. Here's a stereo hifi I built a few years back - plenty of volume for home listening despite being 2xSE channels , so a P-P guitar amp should work out nicely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2200.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	830.6 KB
ID:	982316

Comment

With a plate dissipation rating of 7 Watts, I would expect SE power to something in the 2 to 3 Watts range. Push pull, you might get 10W with the right OT.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I still use a Rogers Cadet power amp in my home hifi, about 10W per channel from 2 pairs of ECL86, with reasonably chunky UL OTs
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Should be 10-12 watts, probably closer to 10. I find this a good volume for studio playing.

Perhaps I'll just build these into a standalone power amp and then I can hook anything I want in front.

Comment

Working...
          X