Triode mode question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triode mode question

Hello. I wonder if matter if a pentode is used in triode mode without screen grid connected somewhere ? I did not found any infos regard what did a difference in triode mode with the screen grid connected to the plate vs screen grid floated, not connected at all. What differences could be ? Any thoughts please ? Thanks.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

I don't have the technical electronics answer for this, but AFAIK the screen grid in a pentode is spaced to focus electrons at the plate. Without it the plate is not physicaly close enough to the control grid (EDIT: Technically the spacing would be relative to the cathode and the control grid is the "valve" as it were). The typical "triode" connection for a pentode tube essentially makes the screen and plate one thing so that proximity to the control grid (or cathode) is correct. Also AFAIK a pentode won't operate with the screen grid disconnected. Some guitar amplifiers disconnect the screens as a "standby" method.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 06-11-2023, 01:08 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      I don't have the technical electronics answer for this, but AFAIK the screen grid in a pentode is spaced to focus electrons at the plate. Without it the plate is not physicaly close enough to the control grid. The typical "triode" connection for a pentode tube essentially makes the screen and plate one thing so that proximity to the control grid is correct. Also AFAIK a pentode won't operate with the screen grid disconnected. Some guitar amplifiers disconnect the screens as a "standby" method.
      Thanks. Allright, so in a pentode/tetrode the plate and cathode are spaced so away to do a useful electrons path without the screen grid interposed in between...?
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

The (negatively charged) electrons that pass the grid are attracted and accelerated by the nearest positive electrode.
        With a pentode/tetrode the nearest positive electrode is the screen.
        Simplifying one might say the plate hides behind the screen (is screened) so the electrons can't "feel" the plate potential.

When a screen is floating, it might even get charged negative by landing electrons.
        A negative screen will repel further electrons and thus stop the plate current.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 06-11-2023, 01:50 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
        X