best resources for learning about audio tube amplifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best resources for learning about audio tube amplifiers

I have a weak background, some physics and math, not a whole lot of electrical engineering. Wanted to learn more about audio tube amps, with the intent of understanding more about these classic old circuits, Fender, Marshall, Vox, Ampeg.
    Started here:

Technical books online (tubebooks.org)

but the first book I downloaded was an old MIT EE book, that begins with the trajectory of a charged particle in an electric field. I learned lots of calculus and differential equations (they tell me) but this seems to be a bit far from learning about how tube audio amps work.
    The other end of the spectrum was a few beginning electricity books, they most all have V=IR, and describe what a capacitor, resistor, inductor is, etc. Too descriptive to make good use, and too rudimentary.

What's a few good sources for vacuum tube amps, but a little more technical than the beginning electricity books, but not quite as far as the trajectory of a charged particle in an electric field?
    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

check your pm's
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
      ...What's a few good sources for vacuum tube amps...
      Check out the MEF threads listed under the following search results. I don't necessarily recommend all the books listed but you can ask further questions about any of the books discussed.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=G...ype=&tbs=#ip=1

Cheers,
      Tom

PS: The complete URL is "https://www.google.com/search?as_q=Good+tube+amp+books&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as _nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=https%3A% 2F%2Fmusic-electronics-forum.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&tbs=" if you need it.

Comment

The one book that was most beneficial to me, at least for repairing, was the Jack Darr book 'Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook'.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          The one book that was most beneficial to me, at least for repairing, was the Jack Darr book 'Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook'.
          That was the first book I purchased. I bought it new in 1965 at my local, at the time, Lafayette electronics store. $3.25 in 1965 dollars which is a bit over $30 in 2023 dollars. The book is available for download but the downloads that I have seen did not include Section III which contains the schematic listings. There was a second edition released that contains additional information and a more extensive schematic section.
          Last edited by Tom Phillips; 06-18-2023, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X