No announcement yet.

Leo and his 420V 6V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I postulated that a 10% change in B+ made about a 1dB change in the gain of a triode, Steve Conner poo-pooed it. When I pointed out that each stage does it and it adds up to 3 to 6dB over a whole amp, he didn't respond. Most people perceive this as compression.

BTW, most solid state amps have stable gain that doesn't change.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with power supplies and the nature of tubes being higher voltage devices. Differences in operating parameters are measured in tens (or a hundred) volts in circumstance instead of the volt or two you get with a 15V supply that is typically regulated to some degree. Tubes are "elastic" where transistors are not. Or they are but have never been implemented that way and could never experience the same operational swings as tubes. It could make a tonal difference (compression) and certainly a "feel" difference.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Many moons ago I was had occasion to use an early solid state Vox 2x12 combo, and that would get really "squishy" when you cranked it.

Comment

The (subjective) relevance of a 3dB increase in SPL can easily be tested with a "clean" amp.
          Feed a 1kHz signal and vary signal level by +3dB, i.e. increase input voltage by 41%.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by mhuss View Post
            Many moons ago I was had occasion to use an early solid state Vox 2x12 combo, and that would get really "squishy" when you cranked it.
            That brings up memories of the early generation of Kustom solid state amps. When pushed hard and holding a sustained note, the power supply sag was so great that you could see the front panel pilot light go dim.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              The (subjective) relevance of a 3dB increase in SPL can easily be tested with a "clean" amp.
              Feed a 1kHz signal and vary signal level by +3dB, i.e. increase input voltage by 41%.
              Don't we get into the different formulas for voltage and power gain to db here?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

Don't we get into the different formulas for voltage and power gain to db here?
                That's something I considered when specifing the voltage difference.
                A 3dB change in voltage causes a 3dB change in power and SPL.
                3dB in voltage means a factor of square root of 2, 3dB in power means a factor of 2.
                Power is proportional to voltage squared, so everything is in line.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-07-2024, 08:25 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

3dB in voltage means a factor of square of 2, 3dB in power means a factor of 2.
                  In case people are head-scratching... I think you mean this...

3dB in voltage means a factor of square-root of 2, 3dB in power means a factor of 2.
                  “If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.”
                  -Alan K. Simpson, U.S. Senator, Wyoming, 1979-97

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/

Comment

Originally posted by uneumann View Post

3dB in voltage means a factor of square-root of 2, 3dB in power means a factor of 2.
                    Yes, that's what it should read.Thanks.
                    Edited my post above.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-07-2024, 09:00 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Anyone going to try the experiment?

I think it's best to compare the different power levels with the same amp.
                      This avoids possible sources of error with comparing 2 amps and provides best repeatability.

It is essential that the amp is adjusted for clean sound with the higher level, as amp distortion would cause signal compression.
                      Also added harmonics will influence perceived loudness.

Ear sensistivity to SPL differences increases with sound level (also depends on frequency).
                      So the test should not be done at very low output.

In controlled lab experiments (Zollner/Zwicker) an SPL difference as low as 0.2dB could be detected at 100dB SPL using a 4Hz-AM modulated 1kHz test signal.
                      At much lower SPL the threshold increases to around 1dB.
                      Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-08-2024, 03:52 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

An interesting test could be to set up a clean tremolo signal with various power levels between the peaks and the valleys and then determine when the test subject can no longer distinguish the difference in the sound between the tremolo ON vs. OFF conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                          An interesting test could be to set up a clean tremolo signal with various power levels between the peaks and the valleys and then determine when the test subject can no longer distinguish the difference in the sound between the tremolo ON vs. OFF conditions.
                          That's essentially how the Zollner/Zwicker test was done.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

That's essentially how the Zollner/Zwicker test was done.
                            I'd like to set up the test but, for now, I need to stay focused on other tasks. However, at the moment, this task is stuck in my head like a song that you can't stop hearing. Shazbot!

Comment

Another interesting effect is that a very small increase in volume is perceived as an improvement in tone rather than volume . I've fooled myself before that way prototyping pedals . Thought I'd hit on something only to find it was a slight increase in gain .

Comment

In controlled lab experiments (Zollner/Zwicker) an SPL difference as low as 0.2dB could be detected at 100dB SPL using a 4Hz-AM modulated 1kHz test signal.
                                I can imagine the poor test subjects, listening to what sounds like a cheesy burglar alarm at annoying volume. "Zero point two decibel down, whew what a RELIEF!!! Yes that is quieter by golly. Can you turn it completely off now?" The things people go through for science.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                                X