Leo and his 420V 6V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

I can imagine the poor test subjects, listening to what sounds like a cheesy burglar alarm at annoying volume. "Zero point two decibel down, whew what a RELIEF!!! Yes that is quieter by golly. Can you turn it completely off now?" The things people go through for science.
    Amen brother!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Phew.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	993813

Comment

I guess we're no longer talking about 6V6's and designs that by far exceed the 6V6 manufacturer's max. plate and screen voltages…

Mr. Moderator, shouldn't all the posts from #24 (included) be moved to another tread, for instance, "Power Output and Perceived Loudness" ?

Comment

Well being as this is currently in "theory and design" what sub forum would you have it in??? Do you mean to re title a thread specific to what's transpired and post it individual of THIS thread? I think "theory and design" is as good a place for this as we have.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The whole reason we went off on that tangent was because of some very questionable comments in post #22. Splitting at #24 would not be fair if those comments were not also moved.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hi Chuck and g1,

Thanks for your comments.

I would like to hear more about the experiences of other builders and repairmen regarding 6V6s operating at 100V plus, above the max. plate and screen voltages specified by the tube's manufacturers.

In my personal opinion, that was just a calculated risk Leo took, and most of the other amp makers imitated it, so they could claim more power (marketing gimmick).

However, it's my contention that from the listener perspective​, this practice isn't a real benefit, just bragging rights for marketing purposes'. And that's what I tried to convey on post #22.

Unfortunately, as g1 pointed out, my comments, caused the OP tread to go off on this "tangent" about "Power Output and Perceived Loudness" discussion instead. I couldn't anticipate that, my apologies…

So, if you like to, go here to continue the conversation on " Amp Output Power and Perceived Loudness".

Thanks all...

Last edited by K Teacher; 02-15-2024, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X