Triode fixed bias vs cathode bias diferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triode fixed bias vs cathode bias diferences

Hello. I have the weird ideea to bias my drivers (ecc99) in the grid with negative voltage provided by same negative supply for power tubes. Should I expect any diferences in respect with cathode bias with more common bypassed cathode resistor please ? Thanks.
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

I'll start thinking when I'm seeing a circuit.

Generally I like auto-bias because
    1) it stabilizes operating conditions against tube variations (including aging),
    2) it provides excellent power supply ripple rejection.

A fixed bias voltage would need to be extremely well filtered.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thanks.Dirty sketch of actual circuit. I may remove cathodes resistors and insert the bottom of grid resistors directly into -8v negative supply instead of ground please. With cathodes tied directly to ground, of course.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240203_212050.jpg Views:	0 Size:	825.8 KB ID:	993195
      Last edited by catalin gramada; 02-03-2024, 07:51 PM.
      "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Ok, so a paraphase without global NFB.

With fixed bias it might be necessary to individually adjust bias for each triode.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

And one more question regard the proper wiring of negative supply circuit. May I use both versions without the risk to get into a ground loop please ? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240205_041418.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	834.0 KB
ID:	993300
          Last edited by catalin gramada; 02-05-2024, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catalin gramada View Post
            And one more question regard the proper wiring of negative supply circuit. May I use both versions without the risk to get into a ground loop please ? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240205_041418.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	834.0 KB
ID:	993300
            While I don't see a ground loop, the problem with the upper wiring is that any noise between the 2 grounding points will be amplified like a signal.
            So I prefer the lower one.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              Ok, so a paraphase without global NFB.

With fixed bias it might be necessary to individually adjust bias for each triode.
              I just wondering why should the bias be individual adjustable ? Even the triodes are not balanced the second one is tailored for gain 1 by feedback resistor.

Comment

As fixed bias is not self-adjusting, applying the same bias voltage to both triodes might result in somewhat different tube currents.
                Result would be lowered headroom.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                X