SMD capacitor polarity indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMD capacitor polarity indicators

I don't do much SMD, but occasionally I will. My Weller soldering station stopped getting hot. I tried a new soldering pencil, but it made no difference. Then I found a pretty easy possible fix, replacing a 2.2uf cap that is known to fail.

My question is how the original caps are marked. They are small aluminum can caps with a black stripe down about 1/3 third of the top surface. I have read in several tutorials that the stripe marks the negative side, and maybe just as many saying it points to the positive side.

Can you gents say with authority which side the black stripe is pointing to?
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Black stripe or half the cap marked black has been negative for me.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I just looked up images in a *oogle search and,.. It's kind of hard to explain. Any full stripe that isn't black indicates + whereas any black bar (incomplete stripe), dip or black end indicates -. I recommend doing the same search for yourself to be clear on it because it looks like standards in SMT electrolytics were variable for a while. Not knowing the age of your Weller you need to know what older markings look like to identify how it's installed and newer markings to know how to install the new one.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Round can capacitors: Black Stripe is negative.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Round can capacitors: Black Stripe is negative.
          Unfortunately., those black rectangular ones look too much like diodes (where the band indicates cathode).

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=998254.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	998258

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Mine look like the first two on the left in the photo above. Weller was purchased new about 10 - 11 years ago for what that's worth. WES51

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              Weller was purchased new about 10 - 11 years ago for what that's worth. WES51
              Oh horrors. I hate it when a highly reliable/respectable company gets bought out! I wasn't aware of that....thanks for the warning/mention.
              Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Which capacitor is at fault?
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes. The black stripe is neg. Also, note the base shape- square on one side and angled corners on the other. Lots of times, there is a corresponding shape printed on the board.

Edit: Here's a pic showing the PCB markings I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectronicsBasicsaboutPCBPCBAandtheSMTProcessVideos.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	998297
                  Last edited by The Dude; 04-29-2024, 10:59 PM.
                  "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I am sorry, but I did not mean Weller the company had been sold, I have no idea about that. I meant MY Weller was purchased by me for my bench about 10 - 11 years ago.

"Which capacitor ia it?"

There are only two small round metal caps on my board, 2.2uF and 33 uF.. Some pages Ive read call the 2.2uF into question, and since it's easy enough to swap it out, that's what got me here. There is no nomenclature to work with, no shapes printed on the board, so all I can tell you is it's the 2.2uF I'm focusing on. And now, unless someone says otherwise, I'm going with black stripe is negative.

Comment

Doesn't matter much now, I pulled the original cap and it reads 2.2uF, so I guess I was barking up the wrong tree there.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
                        Doesn't matter much now, I pulled the original cap and it reads 2.2uF, so I guess I was barking up the wrong tree there.
                        Maybe not. It's commonly expressed here that "in circuit" conditions for electrolytic capacitors aren't recognized by most testing conditions out of circuit. Since the cap you're replacing has been called out I would go ahead with the plan and see what happens.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

So, troubleshoot it.
                          Do you have 5 Vdc.
                          Is the reed switch closing.
                          Is the PIC commanding the BC547 On.
                          Is the triac good.

Comment

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I haven't been able to find a schematic.

Comment

Is that not the schematic Jazz gave you in post #8?
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X