Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Cab Desuctions?

Good Afternoon, Everyone!

Just a quick question. What would everyone consider a FAIR value reduction from a replacement cab & speakers over original? Amp in question is a 1973 Vibrolux Reverb w. aftermarket cab & speakers. Speakers I don't so much care about but the cab is worth consideration. Obviously if the seller has the original cab available that changes everything...

I can't get a good lead on the value of a fully functional chassis on reverb or eBay; otherwise I'd just add $400 for the value of "used cabinet & speakers."

I would rate the amp as "Fair" condition if I was listing on reverb but others may have different ideas... I'm not necessarily looking to "get a steal" or to scam anyone, but I'm also not exactly desperate to sell my 1961 Concert that DOES have the original cab, even if it's a lil' beat up...

Thanks,

Jusrin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

I found two silverface Vibrolux Reverb chassis that had been on Reverb for about $800. One sold, one says "ended" which may have sold, maybe not. Decent condition original full combos seem to be selling $1400-1600. So if you add $800 for the chassis and $400 for cab and speakers you would get $1200, which is about 20% off from all original. amps that have sold. That seems about right to me.

Keep in mind when looking at sold listings on Reverb that they don't show if the seller accepted a lower offer, so the ones that show as sold for $1800+ may have sold for considerably less. I find it is useful to look for the ones that started high and dropped the price to find the market value.

https://reverb.com/item/7231050-fend...nly-great-deal
    https://reverb.com/item/270276-fende...ssis-head-1972

Comment

Hey Jusrin!

People love these amps and I'd think anything near $1200 would be fair
      I'd want to be sure it hasnt been hacked internally; people do odd things to rehoused classics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1973 Vibrolux Reverb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.6 KB ID:	1004889

Comment

FWIW, I recently compared my original 1970 SF Vibrolux Rev. (original Oxford speakers) to my brown '63 Vibroverb RI (using Kendrick speakers) and was surprized how much better the Vibroverb RI sounds.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Gee, I really botched that title, huh?

Thanks for the tips all. tedmich there IS a Mid control added in the Ext. Spkr jack which I will be removing. Supposedly it was owned by a Muscle Shoals player at some point but that doesn't mean anything to me... I'll ask for guts shots.

Helmholtz I'm not surprised by that, but at the same time I prefer my amps to not have PCBs, as I'm not exactly a "tech" & I like to tweak around a bit. It's why I don't bother buying fully original amps, too.

glebert I would consider going as low as $1300 for my Concert & offering $1100 for trade, $1200 if he wants to throw in all 4 speakers (he's got 2 WGS & 2 Allesandro 10"s; it came with the WGS. I personally do not like speaker distortion so I'd definitely prefer the WGS. Maybe put one of each in it. IDK.). I'd also have to drive somewhere from 60-120 miles, so that's a factor.

Concert is by no means perfect, as some previous owner replaced ALL the caps with cheapies; I went through & replaced them all again with Mallories cuz they just plain look better. Has all non-original speakers but what's in it are 2 Celestion G10-50s (80s) & 2 Jensen C10Ps (60s). Upper back panel is replaced. I call it the lower end of "Good" so 12-1300 reasonable?

Anybody think I'm being unreasonable?

Jusrin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
          X