Epiphone Pacemaker EA-50T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Pacemaker EA-50T

I just bought a late 60's EA-50T and can't wait to to see the schematic (it's still a week from arriving). I found a schematic online, but it appears to be of an earlier model (with the 6AQ5's). Mine has two 6BQ5's, one 6CA4, and one 6EU7. Is this a 15 watt amp?

Also, it seems there's a lot of Epiphone amps out there from this same period. Anyone have any preferences to one vs another? I picked this one up because I ended up using a studio's EA-50T 'cause it sounded better on tape than my Marshall 2204 JMP combo.

Here are some great pics of a EA-50T like mine:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rfyroc...=/26d2&.src=ph

You can download the Gibson/Epiphone master book from Schematic Heaven. Warning it is a massive file at something like 177MB. Has a ton of drawings.

Look at the EA35T, is it closer?

Gibson is notorious for amps not matching schematics, for innards of one model being actually the innards from another, etc.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      You can download the Gibson/Epiphone master book from Schematic Heaven. Warning it is a massive file at something like 177MB. Has a ton of drawings.

Look at the EA35T, is it closer?

Gibson is notorious for amps not matching schematics, for innards of one model being actually the innards from another, etc.
      Thanks. The amp's arriving Friday and the schematic is stapled to the inside. I can wait...I'll take a look though.

Comment

Amp arrived with a loud hum.

Replaced power supply caps with 4 - 22MFD - 450V. Replaced diodes, removed death cap, new cord and the 20MFD - 50v. Also, replaced the 2 eletrolytic caps on the board.

At this point -- no Hum whatsoever -- this is good, however...

I friend of mine has the same amp same year minus the tremolo circuit (schematic?) and the thing is WAY louder than mine. His amp on 5 is louder than mine on 10. I know it's not the speaker. My tubes are original RCA, his are newer JJ.

What can I check or try at this point??
        Attached Files

Comment

Are the speakers identical? A 3db difference in speaker efficiency is hte same difference as doubling the power.

"Same amp" and same year without tremolo is no guarantee the amps are actually similar. What schematic matches your friend's amp?

But assuming your amp is weak, look for leaky intrstage coupling caps for starts. Look for weak cathode bypass caps. And look to see if his amp has bypass caps on stages where yours does not.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X