No announcement yet.

Ratty Silvertone 1484 Twin 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

several years ago (2002) i got lucky and found a twin twelve head (no cabinet) in a dumpster dive. actually, it was on a shelf in the boiler room of a senior citizens center that i was helping to clean up after some water damage, and i intercepted it on its way to the dumpster. the thing had been shelved for so long that it had to have 30 years of dust on it.

i took it home and brought it up on a variac over the course of a day, and much to my surprise the amp worked great. (that is to say, as great as any silvertone could perform). it turns out that somebody had shelved the amp because it had a pot that had come loose from the chassis and was causing a lot of intermittent ground noise. so i just tightened down the nut on the pot and fixed the amp.

the nicest thing about the amp was that it still had the original Silvertone-branded tube compliment; that included a pair of RCA blackplate 6L6 and RCA preamp tubes.

as much as i like the amp as a novelty item, i don't understand all of the fuss over the White Stripes using these amps. I've never liked the Silvertone's "creamy milkshake" tone or JAck White's tone either -- they both sound rather dark and lifeless to me. the Silvertones are not tone machines by any stretch of the imagination. there isn't much gain, the clean tone is dark, the distorted tone isn't very interesting, and the reverb truly is awful. i thought about doing the fender reverb tank thing, but ultimately i thought it would be more trouble than it was worth. instead, i chose not to modify my amp and i just restored it to original condition. there were a number of factors that i considered in making this decision:

first, the silvertone is a genuine point to point amp. not a tag board amp like a SF fender, but an honest to God, *REAL* point-to-point amp. IMHO a real PTP amp is something special from an archaeological standpoint, and should be treated as such, even if its only something as lowly as a silvertone.

second, there aren't many unmolested silvertones out there, and there are coming to be fewer and fewer unmolested specimens out there every day. i'm not saying that the amp is something that has a high intrinsic value, but an unmolested silvertone is becoming a rarity.

third, modding the amp won't get you far in improving its tone, and may even lead to the destruction of the amp. as a modding platform, a silvertone is a very weak place to start. the power supply, the chassis layout, and the lightweight iron are all working against you. if you try modding the gain stages and pumping up the power from 25W to 50W I guarantee that you will end up with an amp that is a PITA to work on, and the end result will be that it is noisy until you blow it up.

the short lifespan of the OT in these amps is probably attributable to failed hot rodding attemps more than anything else. just about everyone who's hotrodded the amps has blown up the OT or just replaced them with a bassman type OT from the start.

what really surprises me is that this amp -- as awful as it is -- has reached the status of respected vintage gear in some circles, presumably because of hte Jack White thing. Mercury Magnetics is even reproducing the original OT in their Tone Clone line of transformers. you wouldn't believe what you'd have to pay to buy it.

all things considered then, i think that modding a Silvertone Twin Twelve is ultimately a waste of time. its tough to work on, an old Fender is much easier. and an old fender can take you in a lot of different directions that the silvertone just won't be happy going. so unless you're a glutton for punishment, i'd just just mod an old fender instead.

all of this is just my opinion, of course. in my case, i put a lot of time and effort in performing what the car guys would call a "sensitive restoration" rather than a "frame off" on my twin 12. I kept everything as original as possible, including the original vinyl covering with its dirty patina. my twin 12 is essentially a perfect unmolested museum piece. why? the amp truly doesn't sound all that great, and as awful sounding as the amp is, i guess that i look at it as a piece of history more than anything else. so i've got a mint condition museum quality specimen of an interesting amp that doesn't really sound that great in my amp collection. who knows, in 20 years i may have the only one that's left.

i have often had fantasises about finding an old 1484 head that was beyond salvage, and 'wrecking it to create the ultimate stealth tone amp. but i'm just too lazy...

congrats on your find. i hope that you have a lot of fun working on it and that you enjoy whatever path you choose to follow.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
      the short lifespan of the OT in these amps is probably attributable to failed hot rodding attemps more than anything else. just about everyone who's hotrodded the amps has blown up the OT or just replaced them with a bassman type OT from the start.
      back to the subject of transformer swaps, IMO one of the reasons that the 1484 sounds the way that it does is because of the frequency response of that puny little OT. that thing saturates quickly, and that has a large effect on the amp's tone. if you were to go changing the OT to some nice heavy iron like a bassman OT, that's going to dramatically change the tone of the amp.

if you're inclined to go that route, i'd ask myself what you're actually after as an end point when modding the amp. if you like the tone of the 1484, then mods that change the OT and push up the power might not take you where you want to go -- pushing up the power will blow up the little OT, and then your only options will be to buy an expensive reproduction OT from mercury to restore the amp's tone, or replace the OT with a fender style OT that will alter the amp's tone.

to me, i guess that it all boils down to whether or not you like the tone of the amp and want to keep it, or if you don't like the tone of the amp and you want to change it. if you like the tone of the amp, use the original circuit, keep the OT, and keep the power low. if you don't like the tone of the amp, you may be better off modding a fender or some other circuit that you like. just my opinion, of course.

have fun!
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Ted Weber sells a clone of that OT now also I believe and its much cheaper too than the MM.

The reason I modded my brother's 1484 is because it wasn't original when he got it. The reverb tank was missing. It needed an overhaul and I said, "I can make it sound better." Famous last words.....it sounds great now but took a long time and was a PITA to work on. That said, he LOVES it and is happy I made the changes I did.

I do have a completely original one with working reverb sitting here that I need to work on. Fix an oscillation....probably some bad caps or resistors....and I'm leaving that completely stock.

They're a cool novelty amp but not my first choice for an amp. I got this one for free so thats why I have it. I much prefer to play my real 1956 5E3 or my 1993 AC30 though.

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X