Fender Twin Reverb -Amp HEAD ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin Reverb -Amp HEAD ONLY

I just picked-up a Fender Twin Reverb -Amp that is a "head" only. It looks to be late '60's, as the Fender logo has the "tail" and there is no master volume or pull-out or anything. The guy who gave it to me (yes, gave for free) said it was a '67, but the little research I did makes me think it is between '68 - '71. My question(s): 1. Did Fender manufacture the Twin Reverb as a "head" only? I saw a Wikipedia posting that said they did and I saw some other random posting that made the reference that Fender never made the Twin Reverb as a "head" only. 2. It looks like the original head cabinet covering was re-covered over (a nice job) and I cannot find any, or feel any holes where I would guess the "piggyback" hardware would have been. If Fender did make Twin heads, wouldn't they have come with "Piggyback" hardware? 3. I play in a heavy rockabilly and surf band (a trio). I have just tested this amp through my single 12" speaker from my Mesa Boogie Mark I amp and it sounds great (the reverb mixed with a light tremelo is stunning). What are some speaker configurations I should test? 2-12's, 1-15", 4 - 10's? I play out about 4 - 5 times per month and volume levels change a lot depending on the room. I think it would look cool with one of those 2-12 Bandmaster cabs, but it probably needs some pretty heavy duty speakers because of all the power. 4. Lastly,I play pretty clean, but dealing with all that power may be a challenge in small rooms. Is there a "Powersoak," or speaker volume reducer that keeps the "highs" that I can get? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just so excited about the tone of this Twin!!! Thanks friends.

As far as I know the "head" version of the Twin Reverb was the Showman or Dual Showman. They were the same amp with a different name in a different box, but the chassis are the same. I would venture to guess that your amp is simply a regular old 2X12 Twin combo that was cut down to a head or put in a Showman box. That may have been the reason for recovering it. I played in a band for years with a guy that had the same thing. The Twin cab got damaged and he cut it down. It made it a lot easier to transport too. The classic Showman setup is two closed back 2X12 cabs. A lot of people used them back in the day, including Hendrix. Lear Jet loud and ice pick bright and clean.

Comment

I'm with Olddawg, it sounds like you have a twin that has been cutdown into a head. Pretty common stupid modification.

When choosing the speaker cabinet, you should keep in mind that the output transformer is looking to see a 4 ohm load.

Comment

I saved/fixed a rusted out Showman recently. I run it w/ 1-12 EV, sometimes a 1-10 Weber, whatever....

"How many amps do you need, babe?" "Just one more." The OD Twanger 85 ...by Guitar Bob Ohsiek

These or Twins work fine with either one or two speakers, [heavy-duty of course, not some flimsy stock old Oxford, etc].

Comment

Its possible the chassis could be in a bassman 100 cab or similar. Seen a few like that come thru here.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
          X