Garnet Amp Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garnet Amp Question?

Hello I have been playing guitar for only a few years. The other day I was at the recyle depot and this older feller was pulling this amp from his trunk. Of course I asked him, hey does that work? He went into the life history of his son who well, anyway he was not shure weather it worked or no so I took the amp. Unfortunitly when I plugged it in it didn't work. I checked the fuse and it was ok so my question is, is it worth finding out weather or not it is worth fixing? The model is a Garnet (piper) from me checking the serial # on the Garnet web site. Are these amps worth the effort of spending a little money to get checked out? I don't know anything about electronics of this type anyway so I wonder if somone can help me.

Is it a tube amp or a solid state amp? Could you post a picture? Also speaker size, type of speaker, etc.

Comment

Garnet apparently used the Piper name on a few varieties of amps including a good all tube, a vocal mixer and a stencil amp. If it is the all tube one with a power transformer then it is definitely worth fixing. Garnet made some of the best sounding amps in North America. I have a couple of them and they get used regularly. Gar made them amazingly loud for the configurations he used.
      If it is a solid state or a three tube stencil with no power transformer (Garnet made lots of those too) then I wouldn't put much effort into it.

Comment

Sorry it took so long

Hey Guys sorry it took me soo long to get back with some more info, the amp was of course in the farthest back reaches of my garage so I hade to dig it out this weekend to take some pictures. As far as I can see it is a full tube style with tremolo and reverb. It also has jacks for foot pedals. It has duel speakers that seem to be 10" wide. There is also this bag on the side that seems to house a transformer or somthing I'm not shure what that is but is is going to be hard to remove as the bag holding whatever it is is shure screwed in. I didn't want to remove that yet until I have some kind of idea what it is.
        Attached Files

Comment

The bag probably holds the reverb tank. They are usually either mounted in a bag or on rubber grommets. This reduces picking up physical vibration from the chassis and speakers.

Comment

some more pics

Here are somore pics
            Attached Files

Comment

Man, that is a beauty. It should be relatively easy to get that up and running. There is a Garnet forum that you can get to from the Garnet amps website. There are folks there who know a great deal about all of Gar's products and can provide a lot of help, and of course, there are a lot of amp experts on this forum as well that can get you moving in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys.

Comment

What the hell it works!!!

Just FYI when I put the amp back together, after vacuming out the ten pounds of dust from the amp I pluged it in and it worked. I am in the process of finding someone who can have a look at it for me and tune it up so if anyone knows of a good shop or someone in the Vancouver BC area that would be great. Anyway I found out more info on the amp. So starts my new obsession.

Comment

Garnet Piper amp

I am in North Delta and I can have a look at it for you if you like. Give me an e-mail with your number and I will call you.
                    Barry

Comment

Any Garnet amp is worth fixing. You just can't get that tone from anything else.
                      sigpicVintage amps are like cougars. The older they are, the louder they scream.

Comment

Darnet amp

I have 2 speakers for that Garnet too!

Comment

Garnet Piper Head P1001TR

[QUOTE=creid;147772]Here are somore pics

Hi I have a very similar amp but in head form the tube layout looks almost identical .do you have a schematic??? Thanks Tim Port Coquitlam
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pot cleaner is magic

The best thing you can do to any vintage amp is to carefully take all tubes out and spray some good contact cleaner on the pins and in all the sockets. Spray some on all input and speaker connectors too. If some pots are scratchy it's worth taking the chassis apart to get to them too. Spray all switches also. Operate all controls and plug and unplug jacks and tubes for a minute. Wait at least 15 min. before plugging it back in. I saved lots of amps by just cleaning them out good.
                            sigpicVintage amps are like cougars. The older they are, the louder they scream.

Comment

Garnet Piper Fix

Thanks, sounds like a good way to start,aside from leaky caps are there any other common parts problems that age may have affected?? Thanks Javelin

Comment

Working...
                              X