Need help with Gemini caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Gemini caps

I'm new here and didn't get any takers on the "maintenance" page so thought I'd try here.
    I have some caps out of spec on my Gemini I. They come off of pin 7 on V7b which is a 12AX7 for temolo. Pin 7 is the grid and has first a 270k to gnd then paralled, a .047uf, a 120k, to the "speed pot" to gnd, then paralled another.047uf and 120k to gnd.
    Also pin 6 (plate) has a .047uf paralleling the grid circuit mentioned above and through the 120k to gnd.
    My question is: these are actually "tiny chief" .05uf 400vdc plastic with a stripe at the ground end. Can I use the .047 630v tubulars that I got from Fliptops which seem not to have any polarity marking and are noticably smaller?
    I don't know enough about this stuff to know just what they are doing, so I sure could use some guidence!

Thanks!
    bearpal

You are talking about the caps in the tremolo circuit, right? Don't get too crazy about replacement caps. Don't go for exotic and costly vintage or NOS replacements as the tremolo is just an oscillator off the signal path in the amp and won't affect the sound. It only acts as an "automatic volume regulator". Anything that matches the correct value rates and cap type will be right. They're not dealing with audio signal at all.

Comment

And, that isn't a polarity marking, it just identifies the outside foil, which can be useful to know in some circuits. So you don't need to replace them with polarized caps, if you could find any in a 0.047uF size.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
      X